Bikely alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
http://www.mapmyride.com/ is similar. Although it does show 5 mile/km interval markers on your route, which is useful.

Mortiroloboy

Elmer Fudd said:
I use mapmyride, but lately it's been playing up (but could be my 'puter as I keep losing t'interweb connection).

Not so, I fear. Last week our ride leader sent us the Sunday club run route...it was going to be rather difficult, as we appeared to be cycling across sections of the Arctic Ocean!!!

I think that there was a glitch with the software at the other end?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
User259iroloboy said:
Not so, I fear. Last week our ride leader sent us the Sunday club run route...it was going to be rather difficult, as we appeared to be cycling across sections of the Arctic Ocean!!!

I think that there was a glitch with the software at the other end?

That's one serious ride ! Hope you had your armbands on !!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hmmm! They all have different merits. Whilst the route profile is pretty similiar on most of them, the reported ascent is wildly different between mapmyride and biketoaster. They both have roughly the same height for the hills but quite amazing differences for the ascent:-

route 1 mapmyride - 375m ascent
route 1 biketoaster - 860m ascent

OK hang on a mo. with mapmyride I told it it was a there and back route. It appears to have added the there but not the back (surmised by adding up the two major climbs on the way out). So modified data is:-

route 1 mapmyride - 750m
route 1 biketoaster - 860m

Still a hundred metres diff. :blush:

I'll have to check the other there and back routes on mapmyride now. I do remember feeling a bit miffed about the ascents on two of them as I felt they were a lot harder than the miserable climbing it was reporting.

Looks like a bug - I shall report it. I'll check the csv file I've just spotted.

Forget that re-plotting route 1 using the 'follow the road' ticked on Mapmyride, gives me a total ascent of 400m. Which checking the OS is pretty much right within say 50-100m at a guess. I'd have to get a GPS thingy to be certain. Which makes Biketoaster and Bikely, which was similiar to Biketoaster, waaaaay out!:smile:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ughhh! Well Mapmyride is more accurate than Biketoaster. Biketoaster shows me doing one climb of 109 metres and then after the descent the road is flattish. By the time I get to the end of the road it reckons I've climbed 260m, despite only doing one climb.

Mapmyride is a lot more conservative, sometimes overly so but also more accurate. But if I plot the same route twice on Mapmyride I get different ascent values. I've also got one route which has lots of little ups and downs. Mapmyride doesn't really count them as climbs. I beg to differ! It's one of the harder routes I cycle. Bikely however, has it that I've done over 500m of ascent for that route; unlikey Bikely!

Treat all ascent data with caution eh!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There's also mapmyrun and mapmywalk, which are good if you ..er..run and walk and want to keep track too. Nobody's done a wipemy@rse yet,but it's only a matter of time!
Also good for keeping track of basic stats (I like to know distance etc, just for the heck of it) I use www.cyclogs.co.uk which is good, though 1 or 2 features don't work (graphs, for example).

Top Bottom