Bikemate: what circumference to enter for 700x23?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Trying to set this damn thing up and its a pain. Read through the sticky and it will help things immensely, but what circumference do I enter into the computer for my 700x23 wheel?.

Tried measuring it in mm, but the tape measure flopped all over the shop and I'm hoping someone on here has done it already and can put me out of my misery. :evil:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Put a blob of paint on the tyre, ride the bike in a straight line and measure the distance between the two marks.

If you are not too fussy about being spot on, 2095 is a good starter.

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Cheers,

I put 2095 in to try that. Just back from a quick run on it and the trip computer appears to do absolutely nothing. Am I missing something here?.

Are you supposed to press one of the buttons to start it recording etc or does it do it as soon as the bike starts moving?.

It just sat there with the time showing and the word "CLOCK" at the bottom of the screen.

I've followed the instructions in the wee manual, but I'm not sure I've got it fitted right. The sensor thing that goes on the fork, is it meant to be fitted with the word "Bikemate" facing outwards like below? :-

sensor1.jpg

And the wee screw on magnet thingy that goes on the spokes - is that meant to line up with the thin strip on the back of the sensor, cause as far as I can tell, mine does?. Really dunno where I'm going wrong. :sad:

gavintc

Guru
There are a number of potential issues.

1. The computer head at the bars is not seated in the bracket and the connections are not working.
2. Some computers do not 'wake up' automatically and you need to press a button when you start to ride (unlikely).
3. The wheel magnet is not close enough to the reader on the frame. This is the most likely problem. You will need to play around with it, moving both until you get connection. Remember you do not need to spin the wheel, merely pass the magnet back and forth through the reader by turning the wheel about 2-3 inches.
4. You have made a mistake setting the thing up. (Read the instructions again).

RRCC

Guru
gavintc said:
There are a number of potential issues.

1. The computer head at the bars is not seated in the bracket and the
connections are not working.

wIRELESS NO contacts

2. Some computers do not 'wake up' automatically and you need to press a button when you start to ride (unlikely).

Yes you have to press a button to turn it on

3. The wheel magnet is not close enough to the reader on the frame. This is the most likely problem. You will need to play around with it, moving both until you get connection. Remember you do not need to spin the wheel, merely pass the magnet back and forth through the reader by turning the wheel about 2-3 inches.

could be

4. You have made a mistake setting the thing up. (Read the instructions again).

rrcc

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Ok, solved the problem.

There's no button you have to press to "switch" it on. It goes into "sleep" mode after a few minutes if the bike isn't moving, but as soon as the magnet on the spoke passes the sensor, it kicks back in and starts registering data.

The problem I had was caused by 2 things.

The magnet was screwed to the spoke offset to the wrong side. Kinda hard to explain, but the mounting thing for the magnet has a little groove in it to allow it to slide onto the spoke, then the screw with the wide flat head screws in and tightens it up securing it.

I had the mounting thing screwed on so it was sitting too far over to the left of the spoke. I removed it, flipped it round the other way and tightened it back up and then spun the wheel, which resulted in a reading, but only after I had adjusted the sensor further so that it was almost touching the magnet. I had it slightly too far away, it needs to be really, really close.

Now to get used to all the functions on the thing, to be honest, its very a very clever little gadget, but perhaps a bit of overkill as far as functions and readings go, especially for a beginner like me. :tongue:

Top Bottom