Bikepacking - Accommodation ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomDW

I'm looking to do a 4-7day bikepacking trip in the summer; lightweight and not camping.

Possible ideas were Wales End to End or Slovenia. Is it just me or is accommodation these days ridiculously expensive?

I'm almost thinking of abandoning the idea and reverting to a bike touring trip with all my camping gear or just doing a 2-3day trip in the UK. I only mention this because both countries now seem pricey. The post-pandemic inflation has really kicked in.

Is it just me or is accommodation these days ridiculously expensive?
I believe so, yes, but there are still bargains to be had. Obviously timing is critical in this. My own most recent experience (over a year out of date now) and in Spain is that often a rate advertised on the likes of B00king.com could be bettered (or at least matched) by just rolling up.

I'm almost thinking of abandoning the idea and reverting to a bike touring trip with all my camping gear or just doing a 2-3day trip in the UK.
I don't want to go down the road of nit-picking Bikepacking vs Bike Touring but you may want to have a look at some of @chriswoody 's contributions in the Travelogue section. Here's one from Slovenia. He bikepacks and camps.

It may be an idea to consider more bikepacking/lightweight camping gear as an investment offset against the ongoing cost of solid accommodation.

Off the top of my head, Denmark has a pretty extensive range of free to use shelters and 'wild' camping spots. And there's some pretty impressive bikepacking options in Scotland with its right to roam.

Good luck

OP
OP
TomDW

TomDW

Isn’t bike packing just an alternate name for bike touring? What do you see as the key differences. I don‘t think how you carry your gear matters in this context.

Good point. I guess it's more lightweight vs heavy (camping). I hope to do both this summer. I do have light camping stuff but wouldn't necessarily want to go over the Welsh Mountains or Juliana Alps with it. I've been over the Swiss Alps fully loaded. It was an achievement but I like to mix it up.

Was forgetting Warm Showers in this idea. Perhaps doing a bit of that will make it easier. I've already hosted a few cyclists.

Chief Broom

Veteran
ive used a bunk house as cheap accommodation, the one in pics is at Carlisle. Ten years ago it was a 10er a night, includes cooking facilities and a bed in a shared dorm. Perfectly comfy and adequate for those who arent too fussy and dont mind sharing. Could be ideal for group rides- just book up before you go. :okay:
*in the Highlands there are bunk house bothies which vary in amenities/ comfort/cost etc
DSCF3700.JPG

DSCF3693.JPG

DSCF3695.JPG

DSCF3696.JPG

DSCF3699.JPG

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I must admit I have no idea about accommodation costs, I really wouldn't like the pressure hanging over me that I need to reach some pre-booked place that night. I know you could also take a chance and book last minute, but no, that also seems too much for me. I love to just have my accommodation and food with me and no pressure about where I'll be stopping. It also serves to keep the costs down low.

That said, for the last 10 years all our family holidays have been in the campervan and 5 or 6 years ago it was fairly easy to be itinerant and just wander where the whim took us (Living in Germany makes that much easier). Since Covid that seems to have become so much harder. Campsites in Slovenia used to always have space for our van, but recent years advance booking has always been needed. I've not noticed a problem though with cycle camping, campsites can usually squeeze me in somewhere.

Lightweight cycle touring needn't be a problem though. I will admit that when I first dipped my toes into bikepacking, my bike was so badly packed, this picture was from the Slovenia trip and whilst I was camping, it was only a bivy bag and tarp.

Mucky-Bike.jpg

The picture below was taken in 2022 in the Swiss Jura after my kit had undergone a severe diet and I'd learnt to pack much better. In this picture I'm actually carrying a tent, sleeping bag, stove and food for several days.

P1010269.JPG

Lightweight camping gear needn't cost the earth, Alpkit for example have some really good kit for good money. The tent I use for example is an Alpkit Soloist, a really good value for money one man tent. Personally I feel that lightweight bikepacking style touring is all well and done if, like me, you want to explore off-road and tackle more demanding routes. Then being completely self sufficient is the way to go, however, with mostly on road touring then rack and panniers are perfectly fine.

Aside from sitting down with maps, there's some great routes collated here:

https://bikepacking.com/locations/europe/

OP
OP
TomDW

TomDW

Cheers folks for all the suggestions. That's an incredible photo of your bike Chris and an impressively compact setup.

Slick

Guru
Loads of options for a wee camping trip in Scotland.

If your driving up, give me a shout as you can leave you car with me and there are loads of options from there.

To be fair, if you do come up in midge season, you are probably best on the east coast or north.

The train heading north is ace. :okay:

Top Bottom