Biker boy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

I have one on my old hardtail MTB.

Yes, it is better to try and avoid potholes, and 'rig for impact', but I got caught out a couple of times and my back took a battering so I fitted the suspension post. It significantly reduces the thumps from such impacts.

Mine is a 20 year old USE Shokpost. I don't think that they make those any more but similar products are available.

Thanks to everyone who replied to suspension posts all good advice maybe I need them padded underpants , you can't always avoid pot holes with cars behind you and pushing past you keep cycling .

Drago

Legendary Member
If you keep an appropriate primary, that leaves you a great deal of latitiude to change line and avoid potholes, and to do so towards the inside which moves you away from the traffic flow.

Thanks to everyone who replied to suspension posts all good advice maybe I need them padded underpants , you can't always avoid pot holes with cars behind you and pushing past you keep cycling .
Some potholes are dangerous enough to leave you with injuries, cars or no cars. Best to make an allowance for such an event.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Some potholes are dangerous enough to leave you with injuries, cars or no cars. Best to make an allowance for such an event.
I know but what can you do a taxi pushed me into one in Chester recently if people were more patience they would be a lot less problems.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What part of this have I read wrong?
The question is asking for experience of suspension posts. Not advice in how to avoid pot holes, or what to do over bumpy sections.
I think that people are trying to point out that the Op may waste time and effort on a suspension seat post when other options like bigger volume tyres and a different riding techniques might work. If I made a post asking which sausage would be best to help me fix the dent in my car I would hope that people would point me in the right direction.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Does any one have any experience of suspension posts on there saddle .All these pot holes and churned up tarmac doesn't do my old bones any favours.

My experience is limited to the stoker seat on our tandem, stokers being particularly prone to bumps as (1) they can't spot them coming and (2) the geometry of the tandem means the stoker takes a much bigger hit than a solo rider would.

We used to have a cheapo suspension post and replaced it with an eye-wateringly expensive Thudbuster (parallelogram type) after Mrs T got seatpost envy talking to another tandemer.

To cut a long story short, my recommendation would be either go the whole hog and get a Thudbuster or equivalent, or don't bother. Cheap ones aren't worth having.

To actually answer the question....
I had one on my old ebike - it came with it
I reckon it was pretty much useless - I don't see any difference with my current ebike with no rear suspension (apart from my knees as mentioned above)

I suspect that my problem was that it was cheap - it never seemed to give much
so probably just used by the manufacturer to make the spec look better at lowest possible cost

If you are buying one yourself you can choose one which will work with your weight and really help

I will actually need a new saddle soon - I will be looking at those springy one when the time comes!

OP
OP
B

Biker man

My experience is limited to the stoker seat on our tandem, stokers being particularly prone to bumps as (1) they can't spot them coming and (2) the geometry of the tandem means the stoker takes a much bigger hit than a solo rider would.

We used to have a cheapo suspension post and replaced it with an eye-wateringly expensive Thudbuster (parallelogram type) after Mrs T got seatpost envy talking to another tandemer.

To cut a long story short, my recommendation would be either go the whole hog and get a Thudbuster or equivalent, or don't bother. Cheap ones aren't worth having.
Thanks for your advice.

Top Bottom