Bikes are soooo heavy thesedays....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Has anyone notcied how bikes these days are heavier than they used to be.
Just last night I was recalling how my 1997/98 Marin Eldridge Grade with Manitou 4 suspension weighed in at a mere 25.5lbs for a 17.5" framed bike.
It was 23.5lbs with the OE fork.

My Trek 6500 weighs in at a monumental 31lbs.
The Rockshox SID Race forks I just bought bought will bring the weight down 2lbs.
But even 29lbs is pants.;)
Bring back the good old double butted cromoly frames.:biggrin:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Mrs TB's Santa Cruz full suspension is only 24lbs, which is significantly lighter than her old Giant hardtail. So I guess it all depends!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Hmm....I guess. I know there are some light bikes about. Mind you...my seatpost and saddle together weigh 640g. Ouch.
When i can afford it I'll upgrade as time passes....get some nice light components but maintain quality.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I think MTB went through a phase of making it lighter and then everyone started breaking everything.

Light is great, but i would rather sturdy than lightweight.

My Kona weighs 22lb as it goes though. and its fairly sturdy ;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Bontrager makes some cool stuff.....my Trek has lot's of his 'Select' parts on it...although I have removed the mile wide riser bars for a Kore Elite XC flat bar. ;-)
My Marin was sturdy and light. Then again it was a £780 bike and my Manitou 4 forks cost over £350.
I think the cromoly frames are more repsonsive and are better than aluminium frames. That said....my Trek bike does have a lifetime frame warranty, so I know it is strong.....more than ample for my needs.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I know cheaper wheelsets and chainsets weigh a lot. I'm sure if I got my Trek lighter wheels, cranks, saddle, post and stem I'd really notice.

But I guess the best weight to lose weight is off our own bodies.:blush:

Abitrary

The weight I don't mind, but trying to get a bike with heavy unwieldy forks up the stairs is like bringing a sleeping cat with a broken spine to the vets to get it put down

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Christ....I really noticed it today...had two bad nights kip in a row....not much energy.....the bike felt like it weighed a ton today. :biggrin:
Still....I grinded those gears and my hill climbing is getting so much better.
When i get my new racer I'll be flying around.....well thats the theory anyway...:biggrin:

U

User482

My bike is heavier than the one I had 15 years ago. But then, it has 5 inches of suspension travel front & back, and hydraulic disk brakes. My bike ten years ago was fully rigid and had cantilever brakes. There's simply no comparison off-road - my new bike is miles faster & more comfortable & reliable.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
The weight I don't mind, but trying to get a bike with heavy unwieldy forks up the stairs is like bringing a sleeping cat with a broken spine to the vets to get it put down

bikes aren't made for hauling up stairs, they're meant for riding :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Top Bottom