Bikes for a 13 and 15 year old lads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

First post so hi everyone.

My younger son has been riding Islabikes but the beinn 26 large is too small for him now so looking for a first "adult" bike. He's 5ft 4 atm.

He will use it primarily for the school run which is a couple of miles on road/pavement and occasionally off road the likes of Epsom/Ashtead common if you know them, but nothing too "serious".

So with that I've decided a second hand bike from fleabay. Budget would be a couple of hundred as I am also looking to get my 15 year old son a bike (he's 6ft already) with the cash I hopefully get from selling the Islabike. The elder son walks to school so his bike will be for the family rides on roads and Epsom/Ashtead common.

With that I'm after recommendations. I've decided no suspension at all. I've had a quick look and

for the younger lad I'm looking at something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Hybrid-Comp-2014-basically-unused-Size-S-M/284049791505
and the older - this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-SIRRUS-Neon-Bicycle-Large-Hybrid/124391357264

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated as I'm no expert on bikes.

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both would be fine. Beware though prices are getting sharper so other bidders will be giving you a run for your money!
You're correct about the no suspension.
Large should okay for the six footer.

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

vickster

Legendary Member
A medium Boardman hybrid is going to be too big for someone 5’4 for a while (I have a medium at 5’10 and it’s about right). definitely need to try it out.
I’ve only ridden on Ashtead common once, when it was muddy on a mountain bike. I wouldn’t want to go across in winter on the standard 28mm tyres on the Boardman! Certainly more for roads or paved paths.
A large Sirrus might be a bit small for older son if he grows more (the seller is around 5’9 based on what he says, an XL may be more appropriate) so again go see

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

I’ve only ridden on Ashtead common once, when it was muddy on a mountain bike. I wouldn’t want to go across in winter on the standard 28mm tyres on the Boardman! Certainly more for roads or paved paths.

Are there "more appropriate" hybrids or would you say hardtail more appropriate. I'm pondering if go for a hardtail though I'm wary of the weight on those taking into account the bike will primarily be used for road/paths.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Raleigh Pioneer, an old steel framed one. The 23 1/2" size will fit a 6 foot rider, as I'm fractionally under that and they fit me. They also used to be made in a 21" frame, too small for me though. I've never paid more than £25 for one (at pre-virus prices) and that one is virtually an as-new condition bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Try asking them what bikes they want because the bikes they want are the ones they will ride.

I can almost guarantee the answer will be 'a mountain bike' or even 'a Carrera', such is the dominance of Halfords in this market.

An extra kilo or two makes no difference - at that age they should have energy to burn.

Top Bottom