Bikes for big guys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm 6ft 4in tall and my inside leg is 34", which probably makes me long in the body?

postman

Legendary Member
Postman here also 6' 4" and 15st +,

64cm Dawes Galaxy (Spa Cycles,Harrogate).25" Giant Rincon (Cyclesense,Tadcaster).

And now a 61cm Spesh Secteur Elite (Spesh Concept store ,Harrogate) .

ok they all have loads of seatpost out .But that is the trend today .

Seek and ye shall find .

NigC

I'm around 17st I think, but don't suffer from that many punctures - 4 in 21 months and around 3000 miles I'd guess is reasonable. So there might be some other factor causing the problem.

As for the height - that's going to be a more difficult proposition. Does somebody know if it's possible to buy extra long seat posts?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
unless we're talking very weird bodily proportions here 6'7" shouldn't be impossible to accomodate OTP. All other things being equal then it would equate to around a 100mm increase compared to someone at 6ft. 64/65cm frame, in old money, should be about right.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Spesh catalogue says that the XXL frame available in certain models is for chaps up to 6'6 so pretty close OTP. That said, I am around 5'10 and have an XL Crosstrail and it doesn't feel huge so you'd need to try. The weight shouldn't be an issue for a modern bike, if concerned about the tyres, the Crosstrail runs on 45mm, knobbly edges, smooth centres so all terrain apart from the roughest

PrettyboyTim

jimboalee said:
At a guess, his Leg Length is 41". This means a 64cm frame size.

Rare.

Fuji and Trek in their 'top end' carbon frames.

41" seems like too much to me.

At 6'7", he's 79" tall, so if he had a 41" inside leg his inside leg would comprise over 50% of his height!

My guess would be an inside leg of around 36".

e-rider

crappy member
First off, the weight is no issue as there are much heavy riders out there.

As for his height, a number of brands make 63cm frames which are going to be big enough I'm sure.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I'm 6' 7" and 16 stones.
I ride a 25" Surly LHT
23" Schwinn Moab
23" Cube CLS

I've also ridden a 20" Cadenza.

Inside leg is 36" and all the above bikes were fine (admittedly the Cadenza seatpost became alarmingly creaky).

I've never had custom or even high end wheels and not had many punctures.

jimboalee

PrettyboyTim said:
41" seems like too much to me.

At 6'7", he's 79" tall, so if he had a 41" inside leg his inside leg would comprise over 50% of his height!

My guess would be an inside leg of around 36".

You're right.

I'll split the difference and say 38" Leg length which makes him just under 52% Seated Height Ratio.

HeyWayne

I'm 6ft 7 and tip the scales at 17 1/2 stone. Inside leg 36" and ride a 2006 TREK 4500 with a 24" frame. The seat post is hardly extended at all and is more than comfortable. Standard bike, off the shelf and still has the original tyres and tubes.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/4500

The new 4500 looks lush, and looks to probably set you back around £500.

My brother-in-law is around 6ft 4 and weighs nearer 20 stone and has ridden it (granted, not for much more than a mile or so) - although it was a little too big for him.

Top Bottom