Bikes in shop windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not LBS, obviously but the bikes you sometimes see in (mainly) clothes shop windows, have you ever been tempted to go in and make an offer? Saw one yesterday, early 60s by the look of it, track bike, no name, but with BHC racelite hubs and best Williams cranks.

Reactions: mjr

DRM

Guru
Yes, in the McArthur Glen at York, a beautiful old Bianchi, with downtube shifters, looked to be all Campagnolo groupset too, such a waste.

DRM

Guru
I suspected it had been bought for the display, as it was tidy, but a bit unloved, was going to nip in & offer £50 for that old bike in the window, i was reminded that I had enough already

mustang1

Guru
On the odd occasion I pass some prestige German car dealers (woohoo back to the car theme!) And they have reasonable bikes adorning the roof racks showing the outdoor lifestyle.

Then at the Japanese luxury car brand, those Muppets get some dumb BSO. They just don't get "lifestyle".

I do see bikes down at some clothes shops at Oxford Circus (ooh those bikes are so chic and fashionable these days). A small part of e thought it was slightly cringey but it's ok, I go with the flow.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Our local LBS has bikes on the shelves but all impractical (for me) road bikes that are designed for racing and audax type stuff. Fitting racks and bags would kill them pretty quickly.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've seen an unusual Danish bike in a (UK clothes) shop window - with a frame that was somehow reflective & a shaft drive that looked like something from a BMW or Moto Guzzi motorbike. Never seen anything like it before or since.

I've also seen in a south of France bike shop, one of Luis Ocana's classic orange Motobecanes with a lot of drillum. It was stunningly beautiful. 😊
Quite rightly, it had a display of it's own & placard for information.

There's an interesting gallery & story here of a replica Ocana bike: https://steel-vintage.com/luis-ocana-motobecane-replica-gemini-tour-de-france-1973-detail

One local estate agent has some classy Dutch bikes but they may be for client visits.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
After his Olympic success, the Leeds branch of Paul Smith had one of Sir Bradley of Wiggins' cast-offs in the window.

Top Bottom