Bikes on Buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
in canada buses have racks on the front so the driver can see what's happening and not drive off whilst someone is in the middle of loading /unloading their bike

they seem to be used a lot and it works

domd1979

Veteran
in canada buses have racks on the front so the driver can see what's happening and not drive off whilst someone is in the middle of loading /unloading their bike

they seem to be used a lot and it works

With buses in UK now being predominantly low floor, am not sure where height of a bike would reach on the windscreen compared to driver's view.

Jezston

Über Member
When I started bike commuting to work, living in Nottingham and working west of Derby, I would take the Red Arrow 'fast' bus from Nottingham to Derby city center, which are big coaches rather than regular low floor buses, and have a cargo hold underneath.

Despite Trent Barton, the bus operator, assuring me that I was allowed to take my bike and put it in the hold, most times I'd try to do it I'd get an irate driver jumping off shouting "oi you can't do that!". Once I even got one 'teach me a lesson' by pretending to drive off (before stopping a few meters later) before I got a chance to take it off. Even after repeatedly asking Trent Barton to please tell their drivers that I am allowed to do so, and even resorting to having to carry around a printed off email from them assuring me I was allowed to which I could show the drivers, I STILL would get grief several times a week.

In the end I just started taking the train.

Top Bottom