Bikes on car options??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

London Female

Über Member
The general feeling I get is that no one likes the carriers that hang on the back of the car, I wondered why this is. I need to get a bike carrier but the expense of fitting a tow bar and lighting board etc rules that option out, I am too short for roof bars and that only leaves the type that hangs on the back.

What specifically is it that people don't like about the carriers that hang on the back of the car?

Thanks

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
This is my cycle carrier, only photo I've got of it, Halfords £170, lights and plate fitted to it. it clamps to the tow ball with two bolts takes seconds to fit and holds four bikes, the only thing with this rack is I didn't opt for the tilting mech so when the bikes are on I cant open the boot,
308076_4636819243767_1274038377_n.jpg
I have my old high level bike carrier with the two forks that hold the top tubes this was fine for the wife and my bike but was unable to fit the kids bikes on it.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Boot mounted carrier -

Step 1 fill boot with holiday stuff, shut boot with carrier on.

Step 2 Load bikes onto carrier & strap securely in place.

Get in, load up the kids and wife & set off on your jollies. Said occupants then produce extra luggage which is loaded into the MPV boot from inside the car.

Loud beeping from car. Boot not shut properly.

Stop 100yds down road. Attempt to open boot.

Remove bikes. Open boot.

Items thrown over back seat into boot after step 2 fall out onto the road.

Reload/repack boot.

Shut boot firmly, check latched OK & remount the bikes on the carrier.

Get back in car and listen to helpful suggestions from wife and three children for the next 100 miles....

Repeat the performance on the way home from holiday.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have a roof mounted bike rack, - only used it a couple of times - do you have to take the bikes off if going on the ferry to france ?
No because ferries can take vans and lorries :rolleyes: You get to go in the big cars lane though. The old catamarans were more interesting as there is less head room if you are first on and last off so you are loaded near the end and get to be first off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Other than the 591 is more expensive and flashier. You can apparently fit more of the 531 and 532 models on a roof than the bulky 591.

The 591 is a better model. I have the 531 aKA Halfords Advanced and really rate them. You can also get spares from any Thule retailer. I was lucky all mine came with enough keyed alike locks, so just need the one key to secure all 4 bikes on the roof.

As said, Halfords often do the double pack for half price, so saves you a fortune on list.

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
The kids bikes are a 24" road bike and a 20" Islabike Beinn. At the moment we will only be getting two carriers with view to two more down the line when funds are a bit better. When we all go will probably put the adult bikes on the roof and the kids on the rear carrier but when we take the kids to bike club and are only taking their bikes, I would rather put them on the roof. Best price I have seen the 591 is £120 for two. Will check out the halfords ones though. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Hmmm the Halfords ones are £70 for two so really I could get four for £20 more than two Thule ones. Is the quality so different? Is it worth paying out more for Thule ones? Help me out people!!! Lol lol this is a minefield lol :confused::biggrin:

fossyant

The Halfords ones are exactly the same as the 531 and they will fit any bike, I have had a 16" wheeled bike on easily many times.

I can recommend the Halfords Advanced ones. They are Thule 531s with a Halfords badge. You won't get 4 591s on a roof.

fossyant

I actually can't see the Halfords Advanced one on the web site now. They do have the Thule Freeride 532 which is/was the Halfords Advanced.

The Halfords ones on the site aren't as good from what I can see.

Bummer

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Thanks Fossyant. Have had a bit of a google and the ones that are named as halfords advanced are no longer available. The ones currently on the website are just Halfords or Exodus. Do you know if either of these are the same ones? Would prefer obviously to go with something tried and tested if possible! ;)

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
I actually can't see the Halfords Advanced one on the web site now. They do have the Thule Freeride 532 which is/was the Halfords Advanced.

The Halfords ones on the site aren't as good from what I can see.

Bummer

Oh :sad: typical lol. Thanks for having a looksee though. Much appreciated. Hmmm bit moren investigation and interrogation needed then lol ;)

Top Bottom