Bikes on planes. How do you do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've got an expensive, solid bike box which gives me a real sense of security the bike's not going to be damaged in flight. The problem is transporting the damn thing. At this end, I have to have a large estate or hatchback to get it to the airport and at the other end end, I need to hire a (large) vehicle or take a big taxi to get it to the destination as obviously it cant be ridden as what can be done with the box?

Does anyone have any good tips or experiences to pass on? Also, does anyone have any experience of these bike bags that could at least be folded down but would leave me with a fear of damage to the old girl?

jack the lad

I have a friend who travels regularly by plane with a bike. She reckons that all you usually need to do is turn the handlebars and take the pedals off. Keep the wheels on if allowed and it's easy for them to handle because they can roll it, so they don't need to throw it. If the airline insists on it being bagged, use a clear plastic bag. If it is in a bag or box the baggage handlers will throw it around, if it looks like a bike they will treat it carefully. Apparently she's never had any serious damage done.

I flew with my bike from Gibraltar to Heathrow and then back to Stockholm with BA (no charge for the bike) and only had turn the handlebars parallel to the frame, deflate the tyres and wrap it in giant sheets of bubble wrap.

It survived both flights with no problems. As did I! :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Pipe lagging on frame tubes is a good idea. You can throw it away when you arrive and buy more to come home with if necessary.

We've always wrapped up bikes in pipe lagging, removed pedals, derailleur and so forth, and carried a big plastic bag to use if necessary. It's never been necessary: whatever the airlines rules say, the guy who comes to wheel the bikes away has always been happier to wheel them than lug them around in bags.

I think it's true that they get treated better that way than if boxed - I've seen 'em being loaded onto the top of luggage trolleys. I suspect a big box will often get put at the bottom, with a ton of luggage stacked on top.

Bigtwin

I've done the hard, soft and cardboard thing. Hard, I take a couple of long straps and a bit of padding material, then bung it on the roof, straps through the windows, done up - works fine.

Soft - I put a folding car rack in the bag with the bike, and lob that on the back when I get there.

Cardboard I did once to Spain - Alicante. Hid the box behind a bush near the airport - still there a week later and used it to get home!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Bigtwin said:
Cardboard I did once to Spain - Alicante. Hid the box behind a bush near the airport - still there a week later and used it to get home!

Great tip!

Top Bottom