Bikes on Planes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to email a few bike shops to see if they will leave a few boxes at the hotel, failing that I'll go with the CTC bag and tape, checking with Ryanair and the airport in advance.

Think I'm set now, let's hope the weather is kind and we don't have any accidents like we did in JOGLE!!!

Cheers
If you do go for the CTC clear polythene bag, I would print off the CTC description of the bag just in case you get into arguments with check-in staff as to what constitutes a protective bag. I've used the CTC bag successfully several times but did once have an almighty row with BA staff a few years back, and I feel a seller's description of the bag and its purpose would have helped my case.

OP
OP
stuartmac

stuartmac

Thanks Rob, I'll do that just to make sure. Cheers

classic33

Leg End Member
Check with both the airport and the airline. Getting it in writing before you travel, taking at least one copy for each & a spare with your tickets/travel documents.

Seal top and bottom with hazard tape. I've seen too many opened in the past, and brown tape is easy get hold off.

robjh

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to email a few bike shops to see if they will leave a few boxes at the hotel, failing that I'll go with the CTC bag and tape, checking with Ryanair and the airport in advance.

Think I'm set now, let's hope the weather is kind and we don't have any accidents like we did in JOGLE!!!

Cheers
What did you do in the end?

(I was just thinking of ordering a new CTC plastic bike bag and remembered this thread from the summer)

OP
OP
stuartmac

stuartmac

In the end (there were 3 of us) we hired 3 bike boxes and had them couriered to Perpignan. They were there when we arrived no problem, we then packed our bike in to them and flew them back on Ryanair, no problems. Back at home the company sent a courier to pick up the boxes a few days later. Cost about £95 each including hire and courier costs. Suited us to do it, the hotel was accommodating to accept the delivery and store the boxes. All good, worth the money to take away to stress of using a bag or something like that.

The boxes were proper solid mounded plastic, good high end quality so there was never any doubt they would be shipped in safe order. There are quite a few companies out there that do this sort of service.

Cheers

Last edited:
Top Bottom