bikes with complete groupset

full groupset preferable?

• yes, anything else just isn't done

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • no, nothing wrong with mix and match as long as it works

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a lot of new bikes now seem to come with a mix of components (sora/tiagra, tiagra/105 or 105/ultegra seem the most common).

when i wanted to upgrade my bike to 9 speed from 8 a couple of years ago, it was cheaper to buy the complete groupset (i.e. shifters, brakes, front/rear mechs, bottom bracket, cables and chain) than just the bits i needed individually. so i ended up with a full groupset bike that, i have to say, i rather like the 'purity' of, even if it's only tiagra.

so much so, i have ordered a new bike (to replace a bike lost to a crash last year) with a full campag centaur groupset.

am i alone in this?

edindave

Über Member
You'll often see what looks like eg. a bargain Ultegra equipped bike on an online retailer's page, but when you look closely you'll find it's Ultegra shifters with ACME brakes, derailleurs etc etc. They use the highest spec groupset name as a sales hook.

It would only annoy me if I thought I was buying a bike with a complete groupset that turned out not to be the case, but it wouldn't bother me to be running mixed components as long as they work.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
You'll often see what looks like eg. a bargain Ultegra equipped bike on an online retailer's page, but when you look closely you'll find it's Ultegra shifters with ACME brakes, derailleurs etc etc. They use the highest spec groupset name as a sales hook.

It would only annoy me if I thought I was buying a bike with a complete groupset that turned out not to be the case, but it wouldn't bother me to be running mixed components as long as they work.
typically shifters and both mechs. the bike that got upgraded to tiagra had that (sora) with a collection of unbranded other bits.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
mine is a tiagra brakes /105 coggy bits mix & I never give it a second thought.

but if I was going to upgrade any bits, cosmetic/purity/homogeny whatever to call it, making it all 105 would be a consideration in what to do first

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC I have 105 STIs and mechs, Sora compact chainset (it was cheap), SRAM 11-32 cassette (which the 105 rear mech doesn'r quite cope with) Sora front brake and Tektro rear, and the rest is a bit of a mish-mash.

mattobrien

Guru
I'm a purist in this respect, but more through accident than design. I upgraded the groupset on my Allez to 105 and bought it as a complete gruppo. I also have complete SRAM Red on the other bike but that was OEM.

cbs

I must confess that full groupsets appeal to me - I chose my current Cube partly on the basis that it came with full Ultegra, including brakes and chainset. The other possibility was a Trek that was more expensive and came with Ultegra Di2, but with an R565 chainset, a SRAM cassette and unbranded brakes. Now, for my riding prowess, either would probably have been more than sufficient, but I am happy to forgo the electronic shifting for what are probably better brakes.

Of course the Ultegra Chainset looks fabulous too :becool:

Top Bottom