Bikes with Trailers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mknash

My boss is thinking of getting a bike for lugging of small equipment and boxes of paper around campus.

Anybody know anything on this subject? recommend any makes?

Ideally we want something with a fixed rather than removable trailer.

Hi Martin.

I've sent you a private message.

Regards

Gareth.

How much paper?

Howzabout an old tradesman's bike?

I have a Pashley Delibike for exactly this type of use..

Easier than a trailer, and more convenient

There are also other options such as the Burrows 8Freight or any of the other workbikes

OP
OP
mknash

mknash

We would be talking several boxes of paper, not just a few fliers, also small printers and spares for printers.

I will search more for "workbikes" though someone else aslo mentionned 8freight,

thanks all

Arch

Married to Night Train
8freight well worth a look, if you have the dosh. Couriers here in York use one for exactly 'boxes of paper'... And it rides just like a normal bike, you hardly notice the length.

Or there's the load in front option like a long john or Bakfiets type thing. They can be more noticably different to steer, although you get used to it quickly.

I love to annoy help

bonk man

My mate has knocked a trailer up out of 2 scrap mountain bikes and some odds of steel tube out of the scrap bin, heavy duty but weighs very little, I can carry it easily on my shoulder if I am taking it down the side of the house.
I estimate it could manage 100kg and tow ok at that.
I lugged some stuff to the charity shop on it a couple of days ago, 3 large bags of clothes and curtains, no problem up or down hills. Great design and cost very little. An easy to remove shackle as well..
I will try and post a pic soon.

A second-hand child carrying trailer might be a good option, they come with a waterproof roof, have plenty of space, decent weight rating and fold flat for storage. Just remove the seats.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I used to have a trailer, which I used for lugging camping gear, and cycling things down to the tip. It used to attach to one of the chain-stays. I can't remember the model, but I had two main problems with it: 1) the clamp tended to work loose, and 2) it would tip over from time to time. A BOB Yak or something similar, which attaches to your bike with an axle skewer, would seem more secure.

Top Bottom