Bikes with upright riding position?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huangxq2

Good evening, all.

I am looking for a bike riding for fun, mostly riding with family. I have a budget of £500.

I am male, and prefer upright riding position due to my back problem. Also prefer the bike to be lightweight, simple, and not require much maintenance.

Which bikes will suit my requirements (brand and model, please)?

Thanks.

Keith Oates

Janner
There are quite a few manufactures that make bikes within your budget but I would suggest to look at the Giant web site as a starter and see if the're any there that you like.
You could also visit any bike shops local to you and check out what they have.

Last edited:

Yorksman

I have a similar problem with my back. Very roughly, road racing bikes have the greatest forward lean whilst city and touring bikes have the most upright position. Trekking and MTBs are sort of inbetweens but can be altered either way to some extent by raising/lowering the saddle and handlebars.

You need to have a correct seat position and that is governed by your inside leg measurement. Everything else flows from that. If your bike is too long, it will make you lean forward even if you have ape hanger handlebars.

I tend to use butterfly handlebars and adjustable stems and for most rides. These allow me to not only control the height of the bars but also how far I have to reach. You can buy butterfly handlebars for £20 - £25 and an adjustable stem for about the same price so you don't need to buy the expensive bikes that tend to have them fitted like the Dawes Karakum below, you can buy a cheaper one a swap the bars and stem.

daweskarakum.png

You can alter bar height and reach to suit:

bike.jpg

Also, have a look at dutch bike bits. Sit up bikes are very popular as loads of people ride with shopping baskets on the front. You can customise your own bike with parts from here: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/

Or buy completed bikes from here: http://www.dutchbike.co.uk/Modern.htm

LordGrover

Regular
In another topic I posted this, may be of interest?

Thanks all and Ganymede in particular - not seen that. Should be useful. :thumbsup:

For better or worse, I've decided that everyone on this isle is wrong and the cloggies have it right. After much research and absolutely zero experience I'm going for a Dutch bike, just in time for the bad weather - what better way to introduce oneself to the delights of cycling for transport?
If you're not familiar with the rationale behind the Dutch Bike thing, a brief read here may help: Be Dutch!

Anyway - does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of Dutch bikes please?

I'm keen to be as maintenance free as possible while still being reliable and comfortable. Pretty much all the models I'm interested in have front and rear roller brakes, dynamo hubs & lights, mudguards, chain and skirt guards, luggage racks, kick stands, locks, pedals, etc so all bases are covered.

I've narrowed my choices to:

ImageGen.ashx

Cortina U1 (3 speed)

Batavus-Rumba-Male-Black-670x420.jpg

Batavus Rumba

OrangeC7_H.ashx

Gazelle Orange C7

ChamonixC7_H.ashx

Gazelle Chamonix C7

Drago

Legendary Member
Trek Soho. As low maintenance as they come. Slightly out of budget, but you may find a 2013 model for sale within budget.

Top Bottom