Bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

J-Lo said:
Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply!

Please remember that your talking to me (a sort of newbie) when it comes to bikes. So what your saying is I could just get a new front chainset (I think its called) with 3 cogs (which would give me lower gears?) if I combined it with 1 larger cog on the back?

That all sounds very well, but how much could I expect to pay to get a half decent one (but on a low budget). More importantly, how difficult would it be to fix it up? Baring in mind im not a bike expert, although aslong as i have some instructions I should be fine.

Are there any sizes I need to find out/or how do I ensure the new components will fit the bike?

Any help is appreciated as im not sure what to look for and where to start for!

Cheers, jamie.

EDIT: Just to add - if you did have some time and dont mind helping out if you could maybe post some links to the kind of stuff I need so I atleast know what it looks like lol

If you're unsure - a good local bike shop should have a bike mechanic who can price the job up for you. You can buy all the bits online, to do it yourself... just google "triple chainset" "Campagnolo" and "Shimano".. and good website for all things to do with bikes and working on them is

www.sheldonbrown.com

I get my husband to do all the work on mine... it's why I married him ;)

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

Ok so im thinking about buying this now (a triple chainset) just so I have slightly lower gears with the added cog on the front.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campagnolo-Ch...s_SR?hash=item518b7e15cc&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The only thing im unsure about is sizes. I see you can buy that in either 170mm or 175 mm, what exactly does this mean, and how can I find out what size my bike needs? Other that that im assuming there are no other measurements and it should fit my bike? I take it there shouldnt be any problems with my front derailler etc and fitting it?

Just to add, had a look at the chainset (has 2 cogs) that is already on there and I can see the following measurements:

8v - 172.5 9/16" x 20

Cheers,
Jamie.

Top Bottom