Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I hope this is not too "Corporate" .... Apologies if it is.

Tomorrow I'm flying out to Bilbao for the start of our annual corporate charity bike ride. The ride starts on Sunday morning. Myself and 99 fellow cyclists will face 450 miles of tarmac and 33,000 feet of climbing (yes that is 33,000 feet of climbing) before we roll into Santiago de Compestela on Thursday. The ride is going to be a mighty challenge, taking in the Alton de L’Angliru - tough for a pro, completely daunting for a slightly overweight 52 year old with epilepsy and a pacemaker !

The aim of the ride is to support the work of Plan International’s “Safer Cities” project – putting children at the centre of transforming cities into places of inclusion, tolerance and opportunity for everyone.

For loads more information on the ride, on Plan International’s work and to get day by day updates you can use the following link:

https://www.cbre.co.uk/emeabikeride

I will be taking plenty of photos and will post a full report on my return. At present I am counting down the hours and trying to combat the anxiety attacks. I really don't know how I am going to get through this but I guess once I'm on the road its just a matter of keeping the pedals turning ... easy isn't it !

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Good luck .
Am dong this in September but from Santander .

MarkF

Guru
It's a lovely ride out of Bilbao to the coast, then the pain starts................Bilbao to Argonos was the worst day of my life. Good luck.:okay:

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Well that was quite a trip. 421 miles ridden in 5 days, 33,542 ft of climbing (although I think this is somewhat optimistic, it was still a very hilly route). The weather was pretty dreadful, we had rain on all 5 days, on 3 days for pretty much the whole time we were in the saddle,
Things I have learnt:
Galacia is a beautiful part of Spain. Unspoilt and quite, albeit very wet.
Spain is a great place to cycle - the roads (even in poor region) are in very good condition, pot holes being the exception rather than the rule. The drivers are patient and the cafes welcoming (even when walking in en mass and soaking wet).
I am not a natural climber but given enough time can get to the top.
Having said that, when the gradient moves towards 25% I am pushing.
A break down of the the route:
Day 1 Bilbao - Comillas. 106 miles, 11,107 ft climbing. The hardest day in the saddle I have ever experienced.
Day 2 Comillas - Oviedo. 107 miles, 6,108 ft climbing. A very wet and long day in the saddle.
Day 3 Oviedo - Cangas de Narcea. 60 miles, 3,500 ft of climbing. We tactically cut off the 20 miles of mountains as we were dead on our feet).
Day 4 Cangas de Narcea - Lugo. 88 miles, 8,819 ft of climbing. Best day's riding, but very hard.
Day 5 Lugo - Santiago de Compostela. 60 miles, 4,008 ft of climbing. Very wet.

All in all, a fantastic experience, will definitely be heading back to the mountains again next year.

Photo opportunities were limited, but here are a few:
upload_2018-6-11_17-12-59.png

The start outside the Guggenheim museum.

upload_2018-6-11_17-15-12.png

Lunch Day 1 - before it got steep and wet.

upload_2018-6-11_17-16-4.png

In the hills.

upload_2018-6-11_17-16-45.png

Leaving Oviedo on an excellent, converted railway line.

upload_2018-6-11_17-17-51.png

Top of climb 1 on Day 4.

upload_2018-6-11_17-18-46.png

Half way up climb 2 on Day 4.

upload_2018-6-11_17-19-36.png

The trusty steed, battered, dirty but battling on.

upload_2018-6-11_17-20-20.png

Terminal tyre damage on day 5.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Well done. Spain is indeed cycling heaven. The people are universally, IMO, welcoming, cheerfully, friendly, honest and lovely. The roads are just about perfect. Speaking a hundred words of Spanish opens the entire nation's heart

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Would you do it again though?
Not sure I would return to Galacia - beautiful as it is, its just a bit too wet for me. Will definitely do another multi day tour in the mountains, I just need to be in better shape next time.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve spent many summers in Galicia and it’s not always wet. I believe Spain generally though is not having such great weather at the moment (according to my Galician wife).

BTW - well done and I liked the photos.

MarkF

Guru
Way it goes................I've never been in Galicia when it has rained. "Day 1" made me laugh.....and whince at the memories of my first day of a tour leaving Bilbao, hardest day in the saddle I've ever experienced as well!^_^

Top Bottom