Bill & Billy's World Tour Across North England

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thankyou gentlemen ^_^

tom73

Guru
:okay: Look forward to your next adventure
Given your mishaps next time maybe it's a good idea to take one of these
png-free-flow-first-cups-blue-and-red-product-only.png

Oh and what we all really want to know is how's the chair ? :smile:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Likewise, witty and well written I thought. My favourite kind of reading, like minded people exploring. I shall write my trips down methinks. I have always taken notebook and necessary writing implements but never think anyone would read. You've changed my mind.

Well done!

Do we really have to wait until next year for another tour?
;)
It's almost 2 years since his last one (look it up!) so next year is ahead of schedule!^_^

Where's yours? ;)

We've been blessed this week with TWO father son bike adventures!
The other one is here

Great reading and wonderful inspiration in both!

RoMeR

Über Member
Day 5.

Heading towards Driffield, dad nipped into a shop for milk and some Rennie tablets for my heartburn and came out with 2 pints of milk and half a dozen cans of Guinness. Guess who ended up lugging those to the site?:rolleyes: Shoved into the front panniers the bike handled like a drunk pig. Shimmy all the time and every time I took a hand off the bar to change gear I'd veer off course and wobble all over. This bike doesn't like front loads.
Having put on some nice warm and dry clothes after the soaking yesterday I was less than impressed when a few miles into our ride it started drizzling.
The lanes today were pretty quiet and nice and flat ish so we made good progress and arrived at the Driffield site around 2pm. The owner was a pleasant fellow and very chatty. I thought I'd seen a cafe listed on the site Web page when I booked but on asking about it, he knew nothing of it. There went that idea. He mentioned that there were several restaurants and cafes in the town but that was a good 3 or 4 miles ride and neither of us was in the mood for any more riding. Taxi! We'd set the tents up, lock the bikes to a fence and get a taxi into town, get a decent meal and then taxi back again. Problem solved ^_^ Halfway through pitching the tents, Tony (the owner) wandered up the field.
"On the house if you want them, are these frozen microwave fish pies."
Dads face lit up. Mine didn't. I'd been looking forward to a gravy drowned roast. :cursing: TONY!!!
"Are you sure you don't want one of these? They might be quite nice."
"No thanks dad, I'll do beans on toast."
Where'd I'd put that damn Guinness.
Dad had already had a pint (or was it 2?hmm) and was commenting on how smooth his tent poles were. He'd never seen poles so smooth. They were very smooth.
Gawd. :headshake:

Day 6.

We were on the road by 8.30am and headed for Bridlington.
I was in no hurry today and just bimbled along the roads, just as touring should be. Dad was fitter and stronger than I and so his bimbling along pace was faster than mine which meant every time he took the lead I was having to push a bit harder than was comfortable to keep up. Not today!
We cruised through Driffield without a care in the world and people were friendly as ever. Between that and Nafferton we'd jumped onto a cycle path next to the main road but after a while I got back onto the road again. Dad looked at me.
"Too many thorns for my liking!" I called over.
Dad shook his head and smiled.
We made it into Nafferton and I spotted a church and stopped to take a pic of my bike next to it. Something I'd been doing throughout the tour. Having done that we set off again. Me in front.
"Wait wait wait! Flat tyre!"
The puncture fairy had harpooned dad's bike. The first flat of the tour. Probably karma for denying me a gravy soaked roast! It was a thorn. A damn big one too. Wonder where he'd picked that up from. :giggle: Dad had to use my Swiss army knife to pry the thing out and even with that it took some doing. I searched the tube for the hole. I failed. For such a small village there was a surprising amount of traffic and the noise prevented me hearing the air leaking. The nerves in my fingers are a bit knackered so I couldn't feel for air leaks either. Spare tube time. I tried hard not to laugh as dad wrestled putting the tyre back on. I'm guessing it's been many a year since he last did that. 3 levers and a bit of swearing at it was required.
The remaining miles into Bridlington were spent getting in and out of waterproofs due to sporadic rain. No chance of rolling into a seaside town in the sunshine then. :rolleyes:
At the risk of destroying my butch manly reputation here in cyclechat :whistle: I felt a bit emotional when we rolled up to the WOTR sign. We'd done it. 168 miles across the North of England on bicycles. We hadn't strangled each other. If fact we'd got along quite well and had a few laughs along the way. We'd even discussed doing another tour next year! Wales or Scotland, although Pam has burned it into stone that she's not driving us to Scotland. Something to figure out later.
Dad and I shook hands and congratulated each other and then went in search of Pam. We all sat on a bench overlooking the sea and stuffed fish'n'chips down our throats and then loaded up for the drive home.

Thanks for reading and the likes 😊
View attachment 545489
I'm new to the site so only just found your TR, really looking forward to your next, thanks.

cwskas

Über Member
I felt a bit emotional when we rolled up to the WOTR sign. We'd done it. 168 miles across the North of England on bicycles. We hadn't strangled each other. If fact we'd got along quite well and had a few laughs along the way. We'd even discussed doing another tour next year! Wales or Scotland, although Pam has burned it into stone that she's not driving us to Scotland. Something to figure out later.
Dad and I shook hands and congratulated each other and then went in search of Pam. We all sat on a bench overlooking the sea and stuffed fish'n'chips down our throats and then loaded up for the drive home.

Thanks for reading and the likes 😊
I don't know how I missed this thread for so long. It was fantastic!

Willie

Top Bottom