Bill Bryson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noodley said:
I fancy reading some of his stuff, as he appears to be well thought of (and I saw him on telly recently) but on searching amazon it appears he has a fair catalogue!

Any recommendations? I have a £20 book token burning a hole in a pile of paper somewhere...

Get down to your local library. They'll be pleased to see you, and they'll have lots of Bryson. You may be able to join one near where you work too.

And you can spend your 20 quid on something they don't have.

bobg

Über Member
In Notes from a Small Island, he arrived at Liverpool Lime Street stepped out into the city and presumed that he had arrived during the annual "Festival of Litter" ... I larfed... very accurate ... although it's combined with a JCB Convention at the mo....;)

U

User482

I have read all of his books except Thunderbolt Kid. Most follow a similar pattern of witty anecdotes whilst being a very light read, but I thought "Brief History" was an absolute tfour de orce. If you don't look at the world with a renewed sense of wonder after reading that, there's something wrong with you.

Dave5N

Über Member
There's something wrong with me.

Or,

maybe there are better pop science books.

User482 said:
I have read all of his books except Thunderbolt Kid. Most follow a similar pattern of witty anecdotes whilst being a very light read, but I thought "Brief History" was an absolute tfour de orce. If you don't look at the world with a renewed sense of wonder after reading that, there's something wrong with you.

"Tfour de orce"??;)
I agree with the rest of it, a great book. "Thunderbolt Kid" is pretty good too, I've read it twice now and found it pretty amusing and insightful.

ChrisKH

Guru
I met the man very briefly in Austalia when he was researching his book of the same. I have enjoyed every book of his. A man who can take the piss out of everything, including himself. One of the few people I would pick to have to dinner, even if he did read a book through it (which is what he was doing when I met him).

U

User482

Rhythm Thief said:
"Tfour de orce"??:biggrin:
I agree with the rest of it, a great book. "Thunderbolt Kid" is pretty good too, I've read it twice now and found it pretty amusing and insightful.

Note to self: do not post on CC when inebriated. :biggrin:

515mm

Yet another vote for 'Brief History of Almost Everything' It made me wish I'd read it at the start of my comprehensive school education - if it'd been published then 'natch.
Far, far more inspirational than the dull science teachers I met at school.

Top Bottom