Billinge Bump (or Lump or Hill)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Inspired by the recent post about Parbold and a planned trip from Gravesend to Prescot to visit an elderly uncle, I found room in the car for my bike. Only had time for a couple of early morning rides, so aimed for the top of Billinge Bump.

I'd forgotten what it was like. The country side seems almost flat, with just a slight rise in front of you, tthen after riding through Crank, you start to climb. Started to get harder, but I thought, this is going to be fine, then I came to a sign saying 14% and up it went. Not ultra steep, but it just seems to tower above you.

Anyway made it to the top on a 40x26 gear and tried to find the Beacon, but the track turned to a footpath and would have to have got off my bike. I took these photos on my way back down, a few yards from the top.

The first looking back at the top, where you can just see the Beacon, I tiny square block to the right of the radio mast.

The second looking out across the land. From the top you are supposed to see as far as North Wales

Photo0110.jpg

Photo0111.jpg

Anyway, pleased to have got top the top - must be about 47 years since I last did it!

keith

Our connor

Hi sharkey, I live less than a mile from there and know the area well. The road is named as crank rd but is known by all as shalley brow. Until 1974 it was all in billinge urban district council area but was taken over by Wigan and St. Helens councils under the local district reorganisation of that year. I went over there on my bike for the first time last week but from the easier billinge hospital side ( still a long drag) and am now in training for an attempt on the steep side next year.

earlestownflya

i know it well,went up the shallow side this year pushing my 53 ring,nearly killed me,not been up the steep side since i was a kid,then on an atb....easy back then,doubt i could do it now on a road bike.it really ramps up near the top just before the 90 degree right. a tough challenge indeed.certainly on a road bike,good luck on your attempt,connor...i think i'd need a triple to have any chance:cheers:

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
congrats thats a bugger of a climb, to get to the beacon you have to walk down the edge of the field behind the farm , or ride it on a mtb,its lovely area only 2 miles or so from me.

I rode to the farm and saw the footpath, but turned round. Yes a lovely area. Used to live at Eccleston Lane Ends and used to cycle the area a lot.
Cheers Keith

clid61

Veteran
Glad you enjoyed , some belting little hills around the area ! I do tower hill every day back and to work !

Top Bottom