Bin Virgin and go for Streaming Only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I’m with Zen for my fibre to the cabinet internet/ phone and have been very happy with the service. It costs £35 per month, with a “ no price increase promise “ ( I had an email about the no price increase a few months ago and thought they would be weaseling out of it, but it was just to inform me that they wouldn’t be able to offer it on new contracts, but existing contracts would be honoured)
At the moment an outfit called “ City Fibre “ is cabling the area for FTTP, I spoke to one of the lads running the fibre and he said they would be “ lighting up “ the service soon.

albion

Guru
Any stories?
Virgin have not changed much since their days as NTL.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittin...-us-down-and-then-tried-to-charge-500-305409/

For those who do not read through, the actual Sky number was none transferrable and yet Virgin still wanted their blood, as I myself know full well from similar style experience.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
We have a pretty expensive monthly contract with Virgin for Broadband, TV (inc. sports, film etc)) and home phone.

On top of this, we subscribe to Prime, Netflix plus a few add-ons.

We both have unlimited data on our mobile phones (not with Virgin) so could use personal hotspots as our wi-fi.

I reckon we could save quite a lot of money if we binned Virgin totally, used our phones for broadband and subscribed to various streaming services - we never use the home phone so that can go totally. The only downside I see is the loss of the convenience of just scrolling through channels rather than having to continually load each service up.

Has anyone tried this and if so, what selection of streaming services do you recommend? Any other thoughts?

We have 3 broadband, no land line.
Use Freeview.
Not convinced on the real value of all the Netflix etc.

3 provides vast broadband capacity and speed. Well enough for us.
Also doesn't stall around 3:00 when school is out and capacity gets sucked up.
Useful to print, share printers and files around the house. Suppose most systems do that anyway.

Any stories?
Virgin have not changed much since their days as NTL.
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittin...-us-down-and-then-tried-to-charge-500-305409/

For those who do not read through, the actual Sky number was none transferrable and yet Virgin still wanted their blood, as I myself know full well from similar style experience.

Pretty poor service from Virgin but at least they rescinded the charge after the newspaper stepped in (should not have taken that to do so though).

Interesting part, to me anyway, is their reason for retaining the number. It’s very simple to change the telephone number linked to the CPAP machine. People even change it if staying temporarily elsewhere. Sounds very much like a training issue at the hospital in question too.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
VM has a free TV streaming box, which doesn't have any subscription charges, so I now pay them for bare broadband only, but have retained my existing netflix subscription.
The stream box is small/inobstrusive, has 4K output, a programme guide for free-to-air channels, and all the usual as for iplayer, netflix etc.

The only snag is it's streaming ONLY; no recording. So for the occasional programme on ITV/Ch4 I have to endure ads.

Top Bottom