Binning the booze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I
Blimey, if I had gone back to drinking what I did when I was younger, it would probably have killed me in a month! (A few times I knocked back a full bottle of vodka before going out - 16 doubles! :eek: I would then drink a pint or two of beer before finding the nearest alley to collapse in...)
Impressive.............

yello

I've cut down dramatically with a view to stopping... maybe. Thing is, I like a drink. Once upon a time I even enjoyed the process of getting drunk. Not any more.

These days I find alcohol messes with my head too much. I can experience a kind of dissociation, as though I'm sitting somewhere inside my own head and looking out. It is not pleasant. It doesn't always happen by it happens too often.

It really is a shame because, as I say, I liked to drink and I do miss it.

contadino

Veteran
I cut out midweek booze about 3 years ago, which inevitably lead to binge-drinking at weekend for a while. In itself, exercise (cycling and swimming for me) was just about keeping my weight stable, but when I detached my shoulder the weight-gain was horrific. Couldn't ride or swim. It's taken a lot of effort to get my weekend consumption levels down, but defo well worth it. I can't see myself becoming tee-total, but I'm happier nowadays just 'being sensible', and by that I mean one or two beers on a weekend evening.

For me, beer and meat fall into the same category now: I'd rather have a little but good quality than a load of mass-produced stuff.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Impressive.............
Impressively stupid! :laugh:

Apart from proving how daft young people can be, it also shows how strong and forgiving a healthy young body is. It makes me sad now that I wasn't cycling back then (having stopped after the theft of my bike when I was aged 13). If I had channelled that youthful vigour properly I could have got superbly fit.

johnblack

Über Member
I have time away from booze, currently just finishing a month off as I wanted to drop some weight before a particularly long ride this Friday and cutting drink is an easy win. I shall have a few beers once I've finished on Friday evening. Sometimes I do go way over the top and then I know it's time for me to step away from the pub again.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I spent 20 years in the whisky industry at management level. Entertaining was involved which inevitably meant whisky. Having seen some others at the same level having problems I tried to be careful. Besides during normal working hours I had to remain sober as I could not discipline anyone for being drunk if in the same state myself. I retained bad habits for some years after and having a couple of traumatic life events did not help. However due to medical problems ( not alcohol related) I had to abstain completely and after a few months the urge to get legless left me. I like a good craft beer but generally I manage to resist and it gets easier as time goes on.

Top Bottom