Bio- or non-bio washing detergent for your kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Lower temperatures washing is what it is all about for cycling kit by it lycra or merino. I just read an article elsewhere which held forth at length about the need for us to was our kit using biological detergents. Only way to get e coli out of your chammy pad apparently.

I'm allergic to bio washing detergent residues they bring me out in rash so I use non-bio in a 40 degree wash. Thus far no one has died as a result of my allegedly impure chuddies.

What say you to this CC? Are my shorts impure, and my longs a health hazard?

Those unreformed chauvinists who insist their women-folk to do their washing for them? Probably best not to ask the missus what she does lest an armful of soiled bib shorts get shoved in your face.

Sara_H

Guru
Lower temperatures washing is what it is all about for cycling kit by it lycra or merino. I just read an article elsewhere which held forth at length about the need for us to was our kit using biological detergents. Only way to get e coli out of your chammy pad apparently.

I'm allergic to bio washing detergent residues they bring me out in rash so I use non-bio in a 40 degree wash. Thus far no one has died as a result of my allegedly impure chuddies.

What say you to this CC? Are my shorts impure, and my longs a health hazard?

Those unreformed chauvinists who insist their women-folk to do their washing for them? Probably best not to ask the missus what she does lest an armful of soiled bib shorts get shoved in your face.
I'm with you GG. Bio detergent and fabric conditioners make me and my son very, very itchy. Since he was born 11 years ago all our washing has been done with non bio only at 30 or 40 and we're still alive.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I use ecover at 40 (old washing machine, doesn't go any lower) and everything comes out clean and good to go, from my lycra shorts to PJs to towels and bedding.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I read some years ago that the Enzymes in BIO detergents could delaminate some waterproofing materials and remove wash in waterproofing
true dat.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've no idea what we do, I just chuck my gear in the wash basket and a day or two later it reappears all nice and clean in my drawers. Yep I'm an unreformed chauvinist (I'm not really but wouldn't have a clue how to use the washing machine, I can use the dishwasher if that helps save me!)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Non bio quick wash for all my stuff. Don't do whites :smile:
I think you need to ingest E-Coli bacteria to get ill? :laugh:

U

User482

I believe you can't easily buy non-bio in France, yet they don't seem to have any great problems with skin complaints...

Top Bottom