Biomotion – which bib tights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happy_Days

Regular
Once upon a time, “biomotion” was a safety thing: bib tights with coloured calves to increase visibility. It’s one of very few conspicuity aids with significant scientific evidence to support it.

But where are they now?

IMG_4339.jpeg

I’ve only seen Endura Windchill Bib Tights, and Rapha’s Cargo Winter Tights are a pricey option. Are there others?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do a search for bib tights with high viz. There is a big choice.

OP
OP
H

Happy_Days

Regular
I did that exact search but couldn’t find bib tights with fluorescent or bright colours on the calves or back of the thighs (except the two mentioned above). What have I missed?

vickster

Legendary Member
If looking for visibility of moving legs to say cycling, I’d think it’s better to have reflective for darkness rather than a little low down fluo for daylight?
I don’t see great benefit of the ones in the OP other than to liven up black a bit

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A couple of the ones I listed above are both hi vis for daytime and reflective for night time. The OP may only ride during the daylight so hi vis would be fine.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Decathlon dude looks like he’s working on the roads and has baggy material around his ankles! Their clothing photography is often truly dreadful :laugh:
The second ones are for women which might of course be fine for the OP

OP
OP
H

Happy_Days

Regular
If looking for visibility of moving legs to say cycling, I’d think it’s better to have reflective for darkness rather than a little low down fluo for daylight?

I want to increase my conspicuity in daylight.

Incidentally, the Endura Windchill bib tights
have reflective and fluo stripes on the calves. While both stripes are fluo yellow, the upper one is also reflective.

Rapha’s Cargo Winter Tights have reflective and fluo pink accents on the calves, too. But they aren’t cheap!

Fluorescent oversocks are a great idea :okay:

OP
OP
H

Happy_Days

Regular
Or fluorescent socks over the top.
I’ve tried ‘em now. WOW!

Based on my highly unscientific trial this week, fluo oversocks made a distinct difference. Cars passed me at a considerably safer distance; one driver at an upcoming junction stopped and stared at my feet – obviously admiring my fluorescent podiatry.

The only downside is keeping the oversocks clean enough (more washing) to continue their lurid magnificence. But I’m convinced about biomotion benefits.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I’ve tried ‘em now. WOW!

Based on my highly unscientific trial this week, fluo oversocks made a distinct difference. Cars passed me at a considerably safer distance; one driver at an upcoming junction stopped and stared at my feet – obviously admiring my fluorescent podiatry.
I used my ultra-bright yellowy-green overshoes on a local ride and my test panel agreed! :okay:

I was grunting my way up a short stretch of 10% in my 42/15 grunting gear. Two little boys were sitting at the side of the road at the top. I just got up there and one called out...

Boy #1: "Nice shoes, mister!"

ColinJ: "I want to make sure that drivers see me..."

Boy #2: "They WILL!!!!" :laugh:

View attachment 712420

The only downside is keeping the oversocks clean enough (more washing) to continue their lurid magnificence.
They certainly do get very grubby when riding mucky roads without mudguards on the bike!

Top Bottom