Biopace chainrings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Personally I'm not convinced that Biopace has any advantage, Egg rings IIRC are set up with the axes different from Biopace and both have devoted followers. Both groups seem to over claim any advantage. I'd guess that for some people there is a small benefit from one or the other. After all we are all different.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a mate has them and likes them, but he also prefers down-tube shifters to sti/ergos and refuses to go on any ride that does not involve at least one pub stop.

Shi**no used a group of 1000 US leisure cyclists to test Biopace before rolling it out across it's whole range of groups. They aligned the ovality at ninety degrees to accepted wisdom. At one point it became impossible to purchase a circular Shi**no chainring. Not be left behind, SR Suntour released their own ever-so-slightly-different version. The consumer backlash prompted Shi**no to release a less eliptical version. They didn't openly admit that Biopace was a crock of shoot but the later version was almost circular and didn't last very long, by this time no-one wanted oval rings.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm with wafflycat - used to have a dynatech which came with a biopace - never could tell the difference from a regular chainset

GrahamG

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
a mate has them and likes them, but he also prefers down-tube shifters to sti/ergos and refuses to go on any ride that does not involve at least one pub stop.

Hmmm, there's some serious contradiction in there :smile:

Top Bottom