Bird feeder food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I am considering getting a catapult, though, to dissuade the squirrels.

I have (accidentally) found that hanging a couple of strips of bacon fat over the branch the feeder hangs from, deters squirrels.
I've watched them scoot along the branch, heading for the peanut feeder, only to stop dead at the bacon. A couple of sniffs and they go into a full speed retreat. Worth a try.

I have (accidentally) found that hanging a couple of strips of bacon fat over the branch the feeder hangs from, deters squirrels.
I've watched them scoot along the branch, heading for the peanut feeder, only to stop dead at the bacon. A couple of sniffs and they go into a full speed retreat. Worth a try.

Interesting, might be worth a try.

However, a visit to my nearest Indian spice shop will take place very soon;
I've just been on the RSPB forums and found this:
Birds are not affected by "capsaicin" - the active ingredient in chilli peppers. Research has shown that there is no evidence that birds code capsaicin as an irritant at concentrations as high as 20,000 ppm (the hottest chilli is about 2,000 ppm). Mammals, such as squirrels and rats, reject capsaicin concentrations as low as 1-10 ppm

The reason behind it is evolutionary....Most botanists and ornithologists believe that chilli peppers evolved this way so that small mammals would avoid the hot taste, while birds freely eat the pungent pepper pod thereby resulting in wider ranging dispersal of the seeds to ensure the natural growth and long term survival of the chilli pepper plant.

Chilli pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract unharmed, whereas those consumed by mammals do not germinate at all. The presence of capsaicin in the fruits therefore protects them from being consumed by mammals, which have molars that can kill seeds.

Studies show that mammals, including squirrels, have receptors on the tongue and in the mouth that react to chilli peppers by sending heat signals to the brain. Although there's no actual damage, the sensation makes it seem as though the mouth is on fire (much the same as ourselves). Birds lack the receptors that make chewing chilli peppers such an eye-watering experience for mammals -- they can eat peppers all day long and never feel a thing!

I gave up on feeding the birds several years ago as the squirrels and rats kept wrecking the feeders. I was actually spending more in feeders than bird food, which was just insane.

OTOH, I *did* have a lot of fun, because I kept the poles greased (heavy duty axle grease), and it was hilarious to watch the little sods slide down to the bottom and sit there looking confused. Downside, is you've effectively got to do this daily.

Not too fussed about the squirrels, but the rats around here... There's been a population explosion recently, and they are SO hard to keep under control. Even having a good ratter around the place (Madam Lexi) hasn't stopped them from chewing their way into my apple store and wrecking almost the whole shebang. Little bar stewards have gotten into the foundations and chewed up *through* the floor. I shall be pouring a mix of chilli, concrete & broken glass down that hole, and I'll have to re-do the path and the pointing when the weather gets warmer.

Back to birds and wildlife, they've enjoyed the bounty of berries on my biggest holly tree this winter. I rarely have holly berries left by Christmastime, but this one I did, and I cut a fair bit to bring into the house. There's actually still some berries clinging to the tree, and I've a couple of redwings hogging what's left for themselves. Though one wet day, I stood looking out of the kitchen window, watching a squirrel eat the berries and use its tail as an umbrella...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We have five bird feeders scattered about, all of them nominally squirrel-proof, but they are cunning. A couple of years ago, one of them simply gnawed off the top of the plastic container and feasted away. We have one feeder on a steel stalk, five feet long and 9mm diameter. Mice climb up it and have a go.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We feed all the year round. We use husk free sunflowers on the table and peanuts in the feeders.

We changed to husk free sunflower seeds 2 years ago and it makes a big difference. In the Spring I would fill the trailer with the bed of sunflower husks that gathered under the table.

Gillstay

Über Member
lol - an excellent, rational and unexpected reply :tongue:

As a damaging, invasive species I'm all for controlling them, but am mindful of how I convey this opinion as most urban-dwellers seem to deny any issues and cry barbarism just because they're furry. I'm sure they're less cute when they're casually chewing the face off a fledgeling blue tit..

I think anything to be done to prevent feeding them is a good thing; as you're only bolstering their numbers and as I'm sure you're well aware they can be very damaging to other flora and fauna.. not to mention the associated cost in bird food and knackered feeders. I think the only thing you can do to keep them out of the garden is remove access to all food sources..

Yes; while a generation or two ago those in rural communities wouldn't have batted an eyelid at youths off down the fields with an airgun / shotgun slung over their shoulders to get something for dinner, times have definitely changed. I agree that a catapult / slingshot is less politically-charged; but also a hell of a lot harder to hit stuff with and of course nothing deserves to suffer.

I think many would be shocked by the number of squirrels about - you might only see one or two in the garden at any one time, but chances are there are a lot more. A guy I used to know a couple of villages across started shooting those in his garden and I think he managed about 60-odd in a year.. that was in a relatively built-up location too - not out in the sticks.

Sounds like you have the privilege of a lot of nature on your doorstep - not much in the way of water around here but I occasionally find amenible toads in the garden, while we get regular woodpeckers, nuthatches and other interesting birds. I occasionally see foxes and deer on the land adjacent to the house and when I'm out for a walk. I actually saw a live hedgehog a while ago too; which I think was a first!

The "squirrel proof" feeders will spill their guts if knocked off; which of course is another concern. We had one that wasn't hung far enough away from the wall and they eventually chewed around the ports and knackered it. Your idea of the baffled line sounds like a grand idea if you have the space - unfortunately our garden is too small to really position anything outside of jumping range...

There are very effective gas powered humane killers, but they are expensive.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
There are very effective gas powered humane killers, but they are expensive.

Yes; they seem good on paper but I've read mixed reviews. Did consider some for the mice in the loft and squirrels in the shed roofspace; although hopefully both of those issues have now been sorted by denying access.

If you're shooting the squirrels I assume you're using a different format of "gas-powered humane killer" - which I'm sure can be very effective if done correctly.

Windle

Über Member
I shoot the rats and the grey squirrels as they attack the bird boxes. The corpses I but on a bird table in the field for Buzzards, Ravens and owls.

Ditto with the rats, I can usually get the little buggers in the chuck shed after dark, I sneak over the garden, drop the pop hole flap down and any that are in there can be despatched with a Co2 powered pistol as they try to get out of the closed pop hole (being careful that no chucks get in the way of course or I'd have some explaining to do to the wife). Their corpses get slung over the garden wall into the field for the crows. I usually set the wildlife camera up to see what takes them, hoping the Red Kite that patrols the area occasionally will come down for one or two, but no luck yet. The nearest I've seen it land is a couple of fields away. Foxes have taken the odd one and I even caught a hedgehog having a nibble one night :eek:.
My attempt at completely meshing the chuck pen bottom (under the soil) in the summer was successful for a while but the buggers have chewed through the one area of wood that wasn't covered in mesh and are getting in again!

8mph

Veteran
Last winter I fed the birds more but attracted lots of squirrels and pheasants (I'm rural). This year the birds are getting a sprinkle of porridge oats to see them through any cold spells.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I use black sunflower seeds. Have in the past also used Niger Seeds, but, after initially feasting on them, the finches now ignore them. We are urban, haven’t had a squirrel problem so far. Did set up a camera to check for vermin. A few mice, but, so far, no rats.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I go shopping on Friday, I'll get some oranges or satsumas and carefully extract them from the netting stuff, rather than rip it open.
The netting will be filled with straw and lamb's wool then hung from the spare hook of the bird feeder.
Not sure when the birds will be after nesting material but I'll keep an eye out and replenish it as & when.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I go shopping on Friday, I'll get some oranges or satsumas and carefully extract them from the netting stuff, rather than rip it open.
The netting will be filled with straw and lamb's wool then hung from the spare hook of the bird feeder.
Not sure when the birds will be after nesting material but I'll keep an eye out and replenish it as & when.

We used to feed the birds but since now and for quite few past years our movements and being away from home meant we were unreliable decided it was best to stop. One problem we did have was keeping a source of drinkable water but there is a burn runs down about 50 yards away so there was always running water there.
There are no squirrels on Mull and a proposal a few years ago to introduce reds was shot down by the RSPB.
Feral pigeons were a problem and an occasional seagull but nothing else.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru

The fluff out of your dryer is an ideal insulator, we tend to put it out under the pegs on the washing line, only the smaller birds can balance to get it.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Über Member
Ditto with the rats, I can usually get the little buggers in the chuck shed after dark, I sneak over the garden, drop the pop hole flap down and any that are in there can be despatched with a Co2 powered pistol as they try to get out of the closed pop hole (being careful that no chucks get in the way of course or I'd have some explaining to do to the wife). Their corpses get slung over the garden wall into the field for the crows. I usually set the wildlife camera up to see what takes them, hoping the Red Kite that patrols the area occasionally will come down for one or two, but no luck yet. The nearest I've seen it land is a couple of fields away. Foxes have taken the odd one and I even caught a hedgehog having a nibble one night :eek:.
My attempt at completely meshing the chuck pen bottom (under the soil) in the summer was successful for a while but the buggers have chewed through the one area of wood that wasn't covered in mesh and are getting in again!

Yep, hedgehogs will eat the young of rats if they can find the nest.

Top Bottom