Birds, or rather lack of.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One from yesterday's walk.

View attachment 682400

They like mealworms, so stick some of those out (aggressive territorial little birds though!)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Here in Wales we had an abundance of birds. Then suddenly I noticed that they had all gone including birds of prey. There wasnt a single bird to be seen. This was last November.

The bird feeders went untouched to the point that we had to throw away the food.

They are gradually coming back, although not anywhere near the numbers or the varietu that we had before.

hopefully they will continue to come back.

We now have Robins, wrens, magpies, crows, blue ties, great tits, yellow hammers.

Venod

Eh up
We back onto a field we have trees in the garden, when we first moved here 22 years ago the bird population was plentiful and varied, nowadays we just seem to get pigeons and doves, we had House Martins nesting for a few years, but they were AWOL last year.
In the past we had Sparrow Hawks, Woodpeckers, and numerous species of small birds.

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
We are very lucky with birds even thought the garden is small. We benefit from a field behind, some woodland and being close ton estuary. Had about 35 different species in the garden and a lot more can be seen from the house. Today we have had blue, great and long tailed tits, goldfinch, dunnock, robin, blackbirds, pigeons, jackdaw, magpies, woodpecker and wren. As I write, there are 18 swans down toward the river, widgeon, curlew and greylag. We keep a diary and see similar species at the same times each year but have lost some trees which has had a local impact As do the local sparrowhawk!

Julia9054

Guru
I have a gang of thug life sparrows that mean that filling up the bird feeders is almost a full time job. Other species are much rarer.
I have a feeder with seed and one with fat balls at the front of the house and the same at the back.
At the back, the seed one needs refilling about every 4 days but they hardly touch the fat balls.
At the front, it's the other way round
It's only a small house - I'm sure it's the same gang.
There is also a pair of REALLY fat pigeons at the back which waddle about picking up dropped leftovers.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I know little of such matters, but do find the apparent decline sad and alarming.

Is there anything a normal(!) Joe like me can do as regards feeding them or bird boxes?

Lots @Drago

Here's what we were advised to do. It's worked for us.

Stop killing things - insects, slugs and snails are food to birds. Within a couple of years nature will establish a new balance including blackbirds and tits.

Leave some piles of wood to rot. The birds will love the creepy- crawlies.

Chose flowering plants that provide food to bug life. That means simple open flowers, not double roses, for example.

Provide a shallow container of clean water for birds to have a bath.

IMG-20220614-WA0004.jpg

Again, don't worry about creating infestations of insects - the birds will be on patrol seven days a week!

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have a gang of thug life sparrows that mean that filling up the bird feeders is almost a full time job. Other species are much rarer.
I have a feeder with seed and one with fat balls at the front of the house and the same at the back.
At the back, the seed one needs refilling about every 4 days but they hardly touch the fat balls.
At the front, it's the other way round
It's only a small house - I'm sure it's the same gang.
There is also a pair of REALLY fat pigeons at the back which waddle about picking up dropped leftovers.

We rarely get sparrows which is interesting given how many other birds come through.

I’m not a great pigeon fan. We do have a pair of wood pigeons or Fat Dozy Pigeons as they are known, but they are relatively harmless, I also quite like our collared doves and stock doves. The big nuisance are feral pigeons that just ransack the feeders. Hopefully the sparrowhawks will do us a favour.

At the moment we have a competition between the blue tits and great tits for the nest box, both have been in and out, great tits won last year!

pawl

Legendary Member
Majority of sparrows on the feeders plus the odd RobinIf I put feed on the ground feeder Starlings.scoff the lot. Two Black birds stand below the hanging feeders waiting for any seeds dropped by the Sparrows
Haven’t seen a Gold Finch for a long time.At one time they mobbed the feeder filled with Niger seed

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have a family of wood pigeons that have lived in a tree in my garden for over 10 years. Chunky gits. When we first moved here, there were lots of birds and would feed them. Im not anti-cat, far from it but since we've had an influx of cats in the area, the birds of buggered off sadly, leaving only the occasional nomad to flutter through for a snack and a rest, some starlings and the fat barstewards in the tree which aren't appealing even to the cats... I do hear owls hooting in the distance and the occasional Kestrel can be observed. Its not all lost.

Top Bottom