Birkenhead to Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
I would be grateful for advice about the best (ie easiest) way to make this crossing, with bike and panniers. I will be arriving on a Friday morning from Belfast around 06:30 and returning on the next Monday in the early evening.

Thanks

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Train or ferry. Both are easy.

I would be grateful for advice about the best (ie easiest) way to make this crossing, with bike and panniers. I will be arriving on a Friday morning from Belfast around 06:30 and returning on the next Monday in the early evening.

Thanks

Easier and better still...why not CYCLE through the tunnel?! A great experience.

Click here for the MerseyTravel website and look in the FAQs at the bottom of the page.

(with acknowledgements to irw of this parish who replied to my post about the Mersey Tunnel yesterday)

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Easier and better still...why not CYCLE through the tunnel?! A great experience.

Click here for the MerseyTravel website and look in the FAQs at the bottom of the page.

(with acknowledgements to irw of this parish who replied to my post about the Mersey Tunnel yesterday)

pretty sure taking Gerry's advice would be more pleasant and scenic and less restrictive time of day wise.

YEA GODS!
cycle through the tunnel??
Possible and allowed - lived round here all my life but never known anyone do it

Would be a nice ride to the middle but bear in mind it will be a long grind up the other side
Also the lanes in the old tunnel are pretty narrow - and it is pretty dim at times

I would use the ferry if you have time - or the train although I think bikes are not allowed on the trains at busy times

Let us know how it goes!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
YEA GODS!
cycle through the tunnel??
Possible and allowed - lived round here all my life but never known anyone do it

Would be a nice ride to the middle but bear in mind it will be a long grind up the other side
Also the lanes in the old tunnel are pretty narrow - and it is pretty dim at times

I would use the ferry if you have time - or the train although I think bikes are not allowed on the trains at busy times

Let us know how it goes!

I've done it four times on the Liverpool >Chester >Liverpool ride. The home leg is a nightmare. I can't imgine how awful it would be with traffic which is why I didn't mention it. Is there a cycle lane?

I've done it four times on the Liverpool >Chester >Liverpool ride. The home leg is a nightmare. I can't imgine how awful it would be with traffic which is why I didn't mention it. Is there a cycle lane?

No cycle lane - I presume you just stay in the inside lane and all the traffic moves to the outside lane

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No cycle lane - I presume you just stay in the inside lane and all the traffic moves to the outside lane

Geeez!!!!!!! If you ever see me near that tie me up and force me on to a ferry......at gun point if necessary!

pretty sure taking Gerry's advice would be more pleasant and scenic and less restrictive time of day wise.

Errrrrm....my suggestion was firmly TIC. No-one in their right mind would dream of cycling through it unless it was closed to vehicles as it was when I did it.

The real answer is the ferry of course. It is a genuinely nice and traditional experience, especially on a sunny day, to see the Pier Head and the iconic buildings as you approach from B'head. I grew up in Liverpool, and those of old us enough to have been older teenagers like me when Gerry and the Pacemakers had their hit 'Ferry 'cross the Mersey' (1965) will understand the feelings and excitement.

As an aside, I remember going on the overhead railway as a small child..equally memorable and pleasant

Last edited:
Lived and cycled on the Wirral for decades. Only ridden through the tunnel once on L-C-L days.

Once we got stuck over there and had to get the ferry back. Pita.

Next time it happened we just rode back in the closed tunnel as it was open to cyclists albeit coming in the other way.

Never actually ridden over the Liverpool side properly. Wirral, Cheshire and Wales seems like the better option.

I think the Liverpool clubs ride through the tunnel on Sundays or they used to?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Have travelled through the Wallasey and Birkenhead tunnels by motorcycle a few times (it's free for motor cyclists) and wondered at the time how it would be to cycle through them. Going down and along the level at the bottom not so bad I'd imagine, but quite a slog climbing out whichever direction you were travelling. Narrow lanes, heavy traffic filling the those lanes, plenty of potential for close passes. You may not notice it in a car, but there's a strong smell of traffic fumes, and the tyre noise and mechanical sounds can be be quite intrusive.
It wouldn't be particularly pleasant for pedal powered transport at touring speeds. Perhaps in the middle of the night it could be an almost surreal, life enhancing experience but even then there's likely to be traffic. A city the size of Liverpool never sleeps.

Otherwise, +1 for the ferry.

presta

Guru
It's a risky business going by ferry, I broke a fingernail as I was loading the bike on. Anyhow, being as I didn't want to ruin my Lycras by snagging it on them, and I would be kicking my heels on the ferry for 10 minutes anyway, I decided to fish the clippers out of the pannier and tidy it up. What I didn't notice was that I was standing right under the CCTV camera, so when I disembarked, the whole crew were lined up at the top of the gangway like a guard of honour smirking at the vain twit who preens himself on the Mersea Ferry. :laugh: :laugh:

Top Bottom