Birkenhead to Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Do They still play "Ferry Cross the Mersey" on the Ferry?
I wouldnt be going to the Wirral unless i had to. A few years ago I went due to work.. When I got off the train and went to the taxi rank there was loads of people drinking, in PJs and fighting/begging etc and it was the morning. I also had to get a taxi and the driver showed me where someone had just been kicked to death in a local park. I felt unsafe and thought it was dog rough.

Do They still play "Ferry Cross the Mersey" on the Ferry?
I wouldnt be going to the Wirral unless i had to. A few years ago I went due to work.. When I got off the train and went to the taxi rank there was loads of people drinking, in PJs and fighting/begging etc and it was the morning. I also had to get a taxi and the driver showed me where someone had just been kicked to death in a local park. I felt unsafe and thought it was dog rough.

So you're basing the whole 100 square miles of the peninsula on what you saw at one taxi rank ? Where was that ?

But yeah definitely stay away. It's hell.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
So you're basing the whole 100 square miles of the peninsula on what you saw at one taxi rank ? Where was that ?

But yeah definitely stay away. It's hell.

Isnt the Wirral the place where the young woman was just shot dead as well when out having a drink with friends? Sounds very safe doesnt it?

Bobario

Veteran
Woodside ferry terminal (Birkenhead) is currently closed for refurbishment, so you would have to ride to Seacombe, about 1mile. You said you were arriving at 6.30am so you should be okay, but be aware that the commuter ferries only run from 7.20 to 9.40 in the morning Seacombe to Liverpool. The evening ferries from Liverpool to Seacombe run from 17.00 to 18.40. Tickets cost £2.90 one way. The only other tickets are the river explorers at £11.50 a pop, one way. Don't be like me and turn up at Seacombe ferry terminal one sunny summers day with about £7 in loose change heading for a cycle tour of Liverpool!

If you did fancy going the long way round be aware there is a dedicated cycle lane on the Silver Jubilee bridge at Runcorn though it would be a bit of a faff getting there from the far side of Ellesmere Port.

Isnt the Wirral the place where the young woman was just shot dead as well when out having a drink with friends? Sounds very safe doesnt it?

Same pub that I used to go to when I was younger. Never saw a hint of trouble.

Absolutely out of the normal. .
Bad things happen everywhere. Even where you live.

Wobblers

Euthermic
YEA GODS!
cycle through the tunnel??
Possible and allowed - lived round here all my life but never known anyone do it

I've done it. Admittedly, it was after midnight (thanks to a series of comedy navigational fails cycling from Preston meant I'd missed the last train), but at least at that time it was quiet and not too bad fume-wise. The descent was fun, but of course you pay for that with the long slog back up on the other side.

Wobblers

Euthermic
If you did fancy going the long way round be aware there is a dedicated cycle lane on the Silver Jubilee bridge at Runcorn though it would be a bit of a faff getting there from the far side of Ellesmere Port.

It's actually a pleasant ride to Ellesmere Port if you go via Brimstage, Willaston and Capenhurst. The main down side is there's no option but the A56 at Frodsham - and that's busy and not particularly wide.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'd love to cycle through the tunnel, even though I remember being driven through it in the 70s, when you could literally taste the fumes. Yummy lead bromide.

Bobario

Veteran
It's actually a pleasant ride to Ellesmere Port if you go via Brimstage, Willaston and Capenhurst. The main down side is there's no option but the A56 at Frodsham - and that's busy and not particularly wide.
Agreed, that last bit is doable but not very nice even if it's only a mile or so till you turn off just after crossing the Weaver.

Hmm
I will think about it

Clearly I would use my ebike - as I would worry about my asthma anyway but I am certainly not fit enough to do 50 miles ina day without some help
Battery should last OK in warm weather

Main worry would be the hill coming up from the bottom of the tunnel on the way back - with asthma plus being tired and low on charge then I am not sure that is wise!
Still - I could always wimp out and dodge round the tunnel and head for the ferry/train!

Top Bottom