Birmingham City University

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will be commuting to Birmingham City University South Campus (health) in a few weeks for once a week.

One way is about 17 miles.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the facilities are like for cyclists regarding cycle storage and showers.

Any other tips would be good.

Many thanks

lozcs

Guru
the canal towpath from Birmingham to University has been resurfaced - looks great, but not sure its open yet... I would definitely use that if I was coming that way...

Cycle route 5 probably goes somewhere near you also although it can be quite slow in places there are a few sections north of Birmingham that are fast enough to use as a commute.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
the canal towpath from Birmingham to University has been resurfaced - looks great, but not sure its open yet... I would definitely use that if I was coming that way...

Cycle route 5 probably goes somewhere near you also although it can be quite slow in places there are a few sections north of Birmingham that are fast enough to use as a commute.

Coming from cannock/Walsall area.

bonsai_ent

Will be commuting to Birmingham City University South Campus (health) in a few weeks for once a week.

One way is about 17 miles.

Just wondering if anyone knows what the facilities are like for cyclists regarding cycle storage and showers.

Any other tips would be good.

Many thanks

Not sure about Routes from North Birmingham, I live in the South of the city myself.

As for facilities, its pretty good. There are showers on each floor of the Seacole building, and there are plenty of bike loops for locking. There is a covered bike store at the back of the building by the Student bar.

When you get here come and say hello, that's where I work!

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Not sure about Routes from North Birmingham, I live in the South of the city myself.

As for facilities, its pretty good. There are showers on each floor of the Seacole building, and there are plenty of bike loops for locking. There is a covered bike store at the back of the building by the Student bar.

When you get here come and say hello, that's where I work!

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me if there are any facilities to get a breakfast/toast etc. in the morning before classes start. What to try and keep the weight down in my backpack due to the distance.

Also are there any lockers to store kit like my helmet or would I need to carry it around with me?

Thanks

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me if there are any facilities to get a breakfast/toast etc. in the morning before classes start. What to try and keep the weight down in my backpack due to the distance.

Also are there any lockers to store kit like my helmet or would I need to carry it around with me?

Thanks
Eat 30 minutes before you leave, then you only have lunch and afternoon snack to think about, you can pickup a backpack that will clip helmets to for not very much!

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Eat 30 minutes before you leave, then you only have lunch and afternoon snack to think about, you can pickup a backpack that will clip helmets to for not very much!

Ta, however I already commute 300 miles a month on a fixed gear. Instead of my normal place of work I will be going to the uni for one day a week. I normally have a milk drink before I go out on the bike as food does not agree with me when out riding. I then get porridge at work during break.

I've got a banjo brothers rucksac that I got from America as a commute bag. They are ideal, with lots of pockets and waterproof too.

Just thinking about getting some cereal or toast and a sit down before the class starts.

I might do a test run this weekend to see what the route will be like to get there.

Thanks again.

bonsai_ent

You'll be able to get toast etc for breakfast no issue. Lots of places to get coffee too.

I'll ask about lockers for you. If not strap it to the back of your rucksack, or lock it to your bike.

It's pretty safe regards bike security during the day. I leave my helmet unlocked clipped over my top tube.

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Just did the test ride to the uni today.

Around 16.5 miles with a time of 1hr 13mins.

Found the one way system around the uni makes it a bit longer.

I did notice that along harbourne road behind the uni there is a small path between some houses that seems to have access to the uni.

Do you know if this is possible? It would save having to cycle all the way round.

Found the covered cycle storage at the rear. Loads of cycle locks left there I noticed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Was it busy today? I put my middle child on the train early this morning to go to the open day! Though they forgot to take their rail card so had to buy another ticket on the train!!!:banghead::rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

Sore Thumb

Guru
Was it busy today? I put my middle child on the train early this morning to go to the open day! Though they forgot to take their rail card so had to buy another ticket on the train!!!:banghead::rolleyes:

Did not relies there was an open day. I only went to the cycle storage area. It looked all quite and closed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well they came home and enjoyed the open day even though they ended up paying £77 pounds for the additional rail ticket.

Top Bottom