Birmingham Commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Looking for some route help please...

After years of working in that there Lahndahn and from home I'm now based in Brum at the bottom of the Hagley Road by Morrison's. Using Google Maps I've worked out a route from Olton pretty much sticking to the canal NCR5 all the way to Bordesley Circus at which point I have to hit the road again. Is the route G Maps suggests my best bet or can any of you seasoned local commuters offer me something better?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/M...d36d793384065f!2m2!1d-1.805032!2d52.43692!3e1

I've no wish to pop-my clogs in-front of Flares on Broad St if there's a better way to cycle in to work.

Thanks - Stu

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Try on the Birmingham Cyclist Forum:
http://www.birminghamcyclist.com/forum/
You'll get a more focused community there.

IMO?
Not convinced that going through the City Centre is your best bet, given the current upheaval going on these days. At least each day will be different. But I don't have many better suggestions. Middleway (via A4540 and Anderton Road will be more direct and much quicker, but you will need to be aggressive and fast on the roundabouts.

robjh

Legendary Member
It depends how confident you are on busy roads. The canal will get you there but will be quite slow. From Olton I would be tempted to stick on the A41 instead, which is a fairly traditional urban feeder road with shops and houses and the traffic is not too fast or furious. From there I would probably carry on up Highgate Road (serious traffic jams but not much danger), then over the mahoosive roundabout and onto the Middleway (A4540), but this can be high-stress cycling with the need to look out for sudden lane changing, racing and general motorised idiotry.
An alternative for this last part might be doable on a route like this via Bradford Street, Hurst Street and Bath Row, but I've not done all of this route myself.

Last edited:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just thought I add in that the canals in that area are not very safe to ride in the dark, there being a few cases of muggings and riders pushed into the canal by a gang of youths. You might be better off sticking to the roads.

Top Bottom