Birmingham Cyclists: Do you use the Queensways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kookas

Über Member
Does anyone from Birmingham ever use any of the Queensways in town? (The massive, arterial dual carriageways, and in particular, ones like Suffolk Street.)

Attachments

• suffolk-street.png
    suffolk-street.png
    193.9 KB · Views: 39

Ningishzidda

Yes.

MickL

Über Member
Nearest Ive come to Suffolk street is going round paradise circle onto Broad Street from Hill street, Ive only seen one or two people on bikes head towards Suffolk street. Not for the fain of heart one would imagine.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I only use the section coming off Paradise Circus going to the Pagoda, to carry straight on towards Edgbaston. Or sometimes come the other way over the pagoda and off into the mailbox. I would never attempt the tunnels, that's just plain suicide. The pagoda RAB can be tricky too as there aren't regular lights on every exit/entrance and it gets very busy a times, so can be a bitch to get a slot to move off, or it's so rammed you have to weave between stationary cars.

In short stay away from the overpasses and tunnels, there are easier and safer routes available....

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I drive through them every day, and don't particularly enjoy that. The thought of cycling through them appears utterly mad and would appear to be placing your life under threat.
I am quite surprised that cycles aren't actually banned from using the tunnels. Quite often you notice the tunnels shut due to shunts in them and it is noticeable how snarled up things become in minutes.
The other thing is how many people realise that the speed was changed not too long ago to 30mph through them, but do you ever notice anyone sticking to the speed limit?

seen a few folks cycling - not for me tho.
cars going at up to 60 from light to semi dark, on a bend, with stop start traffic - too many risks for me !

OP
OP
Kookas

Kookas

Über Member
I drive through them every day, and don't particularly enjoy that. The thought of cycling through them appears utterly mad and would appear to be placing your life under threat.
I am quite surprised that cycles aren't actually banned from using the tunnels. Quite often you notice the tunnels shut due to shunts in them and it is noticeable how snarled up things become in minutes.
The other thing is how many people realise that the speed was changed not too long ago to 30mph through them, but do you ever notice anyone sticking to the speed limit?

I was mostly thinking of the parts that are above ground. I thought cyclists were banned in tunnels without cycle lanes or paths. I've never seen anyone ride through them, but then I haven't seen many riding the Queensway above ground either. I've ridden the above ground parts once or twice, though.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

A large number never stuck to the old speed limits, including police cars.
No, I would never attempt those tunnels on a bike.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I was mostly thinking of the parts that are above ground. I thought cyclists were banned in tunnels without cycle lanes or paths. I've never seen anyone ride through them, but then I haven't seen many riding the Queensway above ground either. I've ridden the above ground parts once or twice, though.

Depends a lot on traffic. If it is heavy, it is great passing all the stationary cars. At quieter times you need to be pretty assertive to avoid danger, and be hot on the pedals, but ready on the brakes.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Depends a lot on traffic. If it is heavy, it is great passing all the stationary cars. At quieter times you need to be pretty assertive to avoid danger, and be hot on the pedals, but ready on the brakes.

You brave man Jim :smile: Just done the bit round up top from Snow Hill round the back of the town hall and library and on to the Bristol Road in the car after work. You have to be alert in the car let alone a on a bike, but when it is stationary I can imagine the smile on your face zipping past everyone.
The buses pulling out from the stops behind the town hall is another game, they are a law unto themselves.

My brother lives in south Birmingham so use the tunnels when I visit him in the car.... you are a braver man than I if you use them on a bike.

Ningishzidda

The 'Pagoda" is called Horsefairs ( or Holloway Circus ). There used to be a horse market there.
I approach up High St Deritend, Moat Lane and L into Upper Dean, turn into and then out of Hurst St into Smallbrook and turn right at Horsefairs. Then straight on at Paradise into Sandpits. Turn up Newhall Hill into Frederick and then Vyse.

Top Bottom