Birmingham to Shrewsbury.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Not sure about the Birmingham bit of the ride but when you get past Wolverhampton, head towards Madeley, down into Ironbridge Gorge, then take the B4380 towards Shrewsbury. There are quite a few hills and the bit through and just past Ironbridge is very picturesque.

If you wanted to make it particularly long and difficult, you could head towards Much Wenlock, take the B4371 to Chruch Stretton, you could either then head up the A49 to Shrewsbury (quite a busy and fast road - so I'd avoid it), or alternatively if you are feeling particularly psychotic, could head up The Burway (good luck), over the top of the Long Mynd and then head north to Shrewsbury through the lanes. I haven't done this part of the ride but you honestly won't come across much better scenery anywhere. It's quite breathtaking. However, this would constitute a SERIOUS ride, with alot of very testing hills.

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

jimboalee

Don't listen to him :smile:, he'll have you going round the Wrekin :smile:.

A41 through Wolverhampton, Boningale, Shifnal, through Telford and onto the A5.

Thinks.... That IS round the Wrekin.

wyno70

Depends what you want I guess but yes, either way, you'll be going 'round the Wrekin'.

Route from Jimbo is probably the most direct but not particularly picturesque and all busy main A roads. The route I've highlighted is probably much further, definately a lot more hilly but stunning countryside!

Take your pic!!!

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
Sounds good. Really wanted to avoid busy roads. DO they have lanes out there?

Did think about taking the towpath to Aldersley and then striking out west.

wyno70

The B4371 over to Chruch Stretton isn't too busy but quite fast, if you go up and over the Long Mynd and then head North to Shrewsbury you will be in very quiet lanes. You'd also have to hope that you picked a nice day as the top of the Long Mynd in wind isn't a great place to be!! All heathland and very exposed. There is a glider station up there, lots of paragliders etc, you get the picture!!!

However, I do stress that you will do alot of climbing on this route, however, the views would be well worth it and I imagine it would be a very rewarding ride.

The climb from Church Stretton to the top of the Longmynd is approx 200m, mainly within 1 mile! if you go on google earth and search church stretton, then have a look at some of the pics, you'll get the idea of the scenery.

I've never done it but it is on my list of 'to do' rides.

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
I'll have a look at the maps and googleearth. Seems like more busy roads than I wanted.

I did this a few times before I moved to Bristol and am also conscious of avoiding busy roads.

I went (from Quinton so out west already) on the B4171 through Dudley then B4176 (it's busyish but not unpleasant - quiet if you're early) through Himley all the way to junc with A442. Do about 1km on A442 then turn left to Coalport (not sure if it's signposted - small lane going uphill), you're now on very quiet lanes. Go through Coalport and stay alongside the river through Ironbridge and out on the Buildwas Road (to junc with A4169). Continue on B4380 right to the Shrewsbury ring road and then take whichever route takes you to the part of Shrewsbury you want.

First time I did it, I got lost and ended up on the A458 from Bridgenorth all the way to Shrewsbury. Once out of Bridgenorth it was actually not a bad road for cycling on!

wyno70

Bridgnorth to Shrewsbury is a very nice road. I did it two weeks ago and it's not too busy, only thing that gives you a shock is motorbikes flying past at high speed (popular road for them too). Only problem was I did it the other way (Shrewsbury to Bridgnorth) and Wenlock Edge was tougher than I remembered!!!!!

Top Bottom