Birthday Present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

I turned 40 yesterday, and decided to treat myself to a nice bike. In fact, this is the first proper road bike I have owned. (Had a gas-pipe 10 speed in the past, and grew up on a 5-speed, recently been riding an Alu hybrid and a heavy old 3-speed).

Anyway, my mate runs a bike shop. I told him I was after something nice, light enough for a quick blast but capable of taking panniers and guards. He came up with this 531 frame & forks, STI shifters, Campag wheels and 20mm(!) tyres. (Everything is used, I'm not made of money :biggrin: ) The saddle is a Brooks Competition Pro, 12 pounds including delivery from eBay. It's nice and comfy, but not too worn.

I haven't been out for a proper ride yet, besides I need a shorter stem as I'm a little stretched as it is. I'll give my mate a ring tomorrow and see what he has in stock. The short rides I did try were surprisingly comfy given the narrow tyres, I can see why people like Cro-Moly frames.

Anyway, here it is:

6yf56w7.jpg

Just need to tweak the sizing and get some spare time for riding now!

Looks to be a good job to me - comfort and speed!

What gearing do you have on it the first cog looks tiny.

I recently went from my mountain bike with road tyres to a proper bike but even though it has 3x8 gears I cannot get up the hill so easily as the old bike, but have not had to get off and walk yet thankfully. I thought I might change the gears for something a bit smaller / lower whatever it is, to help but then I do occasionally get up into top gear as it is now and again.

I can get the time to ride but difficult to get going in the cold and rain.

Happy birthday by the way. Nothing to worry about still 17 on the inside.

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

Thanks for the good wishes guys.

As for the gearing, the front is 48 - 28, rear 26 - 13. I asked my mate for something that could haul camping gear up a hill, not that there are many round here but North Wales isn't too far away...

ratty2k

Not quite 40 yet, (2 and a bit years yet!) But it sure does look like a nice bike. And you're from my hometown! Which bikeshop? I live literally round the corner form Ron Spencer cycles..... My Kaffenback's on here somewhere....

ratty2k

ratty2k said:
Not quite 40 yet, (2 and a bit years yet!) But it sure does look like a nice bike. And you're from my hometown! Which bikeshop? I live literally round the corner form Ron Spencer cycles..... My Kaffenback's on here somewhere....

Ohh, and Happy Birthday!!

OOOopps!!! been on the whiskey!

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

Cheers R2k, it's from Whiston Cycles, near Prescott. I know Ron Spencer's though. I commuted past there every day last year when I worked in Birchwood. Riding from Penketh to Central Station now, although not on this bike.

Oh, and enjoy your wee dram too :becool:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That looks very nice indeed - congrats on both birthday and present!

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

PS 531 is Manganese Moly not Cro-moly...501 was Cro-moly. Tis better mang-moly

I didn't know that, thanks Fossyant.

Lovely looking bike Freewheeler. It looks quick and comfy

Thanks Longers, and thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Found out the disadvantage of 20mm tyres on Friday evening though, hit a pothole and had a blowout on the rear tube. Luckily it was right outside my house; the roadway is concrete and it has sunk a couple of inches, being concrete the edge of the sunken area has a sharp edge. I'll call the council and ask them to chuck a shovel of tarmac into it.

Top Bottom