Bit of a surprise - we're off!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This summer's planned tour got put back last month when we thought my leg might need a bit longer to heal. So I was pretty shocked to hear that the husband could literally only get time off next month or November onwards due to big stuff at work! So it's 'Seize the Day' time - we're off to Europe on 10th May!

I'm slightly nervous about lack of fitness and the gammy leg, but had absolutely no pain when we did the 24 miles on Sunday and actually didn't struggle that much with fitness either. If I need to take the odd train, so be it (not that I plan to). But we're off...my dream trip that I've been planning for a year is just 28 sleeps away!!

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So much to do!!! Off to London this weekend so can't cycle or book anything, so bring on Monday evening!!

So excited!!!!!!!!

Cathryn said:
my dream trip that I've been planning for a year is just 28 sleeps away!!

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So excited!!!!!!!!

Fantastic ! ! !

I bet you'l have a great time you lucky so & so's

Simon

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Try this....

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=2820&v=Fm

But briefly....

Start Toulouse and head east past Carcassonne to Aix en Provence.

Head north through Sault, Die and the Vercors to Grenoble.

Continue to Geneva and then east across Switzerland via Interlaken and Luzern.

Cross Liechtenstein into Austria. Over the Arlberg Pass (she says nonchalantly) to Innsbruck and then cruise effortlessly through a corner of Germany to finish in Salzburg.

Didn't sleep very well last night. Too excited!!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The good news is that it is possible for anyone to 'ride themselves fit' on a tour.

However to do so, you must go steady to start with. The danger is that you will probably feel great for the first few days (especially full of enthusiasm and adrenalin), but if you put your body into any form of 'debt', then the 'adaption' phase your body will need a dew days later, will have you feeling knackered and going no where.

Ride in two hour blocks throughout the day with a short rest in between, ride no harder (including hills - walk if necessary) than when you can still hold a conversation, and eat and drink constantly! If you get behind your schedule - don't panic: take a train for a few miles!

A schedule that has you riding 9-11, shopping for picnic stuff until 11.30, riding to 1.30, picnic till 2.30 and then done with the day by 4.30, will see you covering 60 miles (100km) at only a ten mph average. That's enough.

This gentle lead in should see you getting stronger and stronger instead of feeling 'wasted' after a few days. Enjoy it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm envious - have a great time.... remember if you are doing all that cycling you can reward yourself with some Swiss chocolate!

Brock

Fantastic! Have a wonderful time Cathryn.
Tim's advice sounds spot on as usual.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
superb route, Cathryn, have a great time. the high passes may still be closed fully or partially in early May. I seem to remember that the Galibier was only open officially in early June but I'm sure someone on here will know more.

Tony

Indeed re the passes. There are a lot of waymarked cycle routes in Austria. There are very good maps for them as well, obtainable locally.
Jealous.....

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for being so excited for me and for the wise words about pacing myself :laugh: We're not expecting any high passes...just low ones...so hopefully we'll be okay.

Tony...yes please, any specifics, pass them on!

Bring it on!!

Brock, when do you head off as well?

Top Bottom