Bit of advice - carbon steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The carbon steerer on my Carrera was over tightened by the hamfisted factory workers which had resulted in the carbon steerer bulging where the bung compresses against. It’s only about .5mm of expansion.

It has come to light after my bike forks were inspected after my recent off. Forks blades are in line, no paint cracks but because of the expansion the headset needed to be hammered on/off to drop the fork out/on.

If you looked at the bike, the untrained eye would think nothing is wrong as you can easily get the stem on and off and move spacers around.

Would you ride the bike and/or opinions on warranty claim, given I self built (to the extent of attach handlebar, didn’t touch the bung). Just over a year old.

multitool

Don't ride it, unless you want to have the experience of the handlebars coming away in your hands.

Is there enough steerer left for you to recut and slam stem? Either that or buy new fork.

OP
OP
bikingdad90
Don't ride it, unless you want to have the experience of the handlebars coming away in your hands.

Is there enough steerer left for you to recut and slam stem? Either that or buy new fork.
@multitool, that’s what is worrying me but I’ve been effectively riding it round for a year like this as a counter argument!

multitool

I wouldn't ride it personally. If it snaps the outcome will be somewhere between a bruise and death.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Make your own decisions. I would.

Self build, so all bets are off. I also don't understand how it has been (or how you can claim) hamfistedly assembled when you built it yourself? Only the bung was in place when you received the frame & forks?

Need more info on what has taken place since, which considering the bike has had an off, is kind of alleviating the supplier of any reasonable responsibility.

What do you want?

OP
OP
bikingdad90
@I like Skol the Carrera Vanquish 2020 model came with a full carbon steerer, the bung is installed in the factory as is the stem, spacers and top cap. All that is required when “building” the bike, is to attach the handlebars via the four stem bolts, put the wheels on and then index as required before fitting any accessory or pedals. No adjustment is required to the headset.. Its more like an unboxing than a self build.

In terms of the accident, low speed sun 10mph, front wheel slipped on a drawing pin and blew out. Bike toppled sideways onto pannier bag, me and then handlebars hit the floor. Best way to describe it was like a sideways topple with my leg and outstretched arm taking the brunt of the damage, no warning at all.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
bikingdad90
To answer @I like Skol final question… not bothered about the warranty point, more around the prior point, would you ride the bike as is, or look to find a solution? Basically asking is such a thing problematic or even though “minor”, is the fork a write off?

Jameshow

Veteran
How can the bung make the carbon bulge unless it's above the stem, in that case cut the stem down so the bung is within the stem clamp area.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I see, sounds like the bung is not the issue. More a case of the stem being so horrifically tight that it has crushed and deformed the steerer.

TBH, while I'm sure this is not exclusively a Halfords selling point, it is, anecdotally at least, fairly standard operating procedure for their bike retail department.

TBH#2, I'm surprised you had the bike examined after such a minor off, they are generally not that delicate. I slid across a roundabout at 20mph a few weeks ago. I also have carbon forks. I had to repair my bar tape with some electrical tape and my mudguards are never going to be the same. The brunt of the impact was taken by my pannier and my right knee. For once I didn't rip my leggings :wahhey:

TBH#3, I would probably continue to use the forks, but listen carefully for any strange noises/creaks/rattles etc in the next 3-6 months, after which I would forget all about it. Without seeing the forks I struggle to condemn them, but doubt they would fall into my 'Hell, no way I'm using those' category.

Top Bottom