Bit of advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Cano

Looking at upgrading my brakes on my Boardman team 650. The one I have a pretty useless. (Avid)
Here what I'm looking at buying:-
Shimano Deore M615
Or
Shimano SLX M675
On sale there Only £20 difference between them. My question is, s the extra £20 worthwhile as a noticeable difference in braking?
I'm by no means a hardcore trial rider, probably the opposite, mainly just easy trials for the enjoyment of getting out. But I do like to know that I have brakes when needed!
Thanks

si_c

Guru
Which avids do you have? Never had any problems with the sd7 on my mtb

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I think I've got the deores on my mtb, never missed a beat and easier to maintain compared to the avoids I had.
Tbh, the biggest difference came when I put a bigger rotor on the front wheel, that was goooood.

OP
OP
Tony Cano

Tony Cano

Think it's the Avid 5's with a 200 mm rotor on front 160 rear. It did have the 180 rear but it seemed less effective?
Tbh when I pull the rear they slow me down but when pulling on the front they judder which doesn't install any confidence. So was looking at upgrades and the two Shimano ones are in price range. Just wondering if I would really notice any difference between the two.

kiriyama

Isn't there a pad upgrade you can get for the avids? Can't remember the brand off the top of my head.

Iv got some bb5's took me a while to set up and get right but haven't had any problems with them since, and iv put them through their paces

Globalti

Legendary Member
Juddering means the pads and rotors are contaminated with oil or brake fluid, especially if it's worse as you roll to a stop and the brake makes a loud juddering squawk.

Put the pads in the dishwasher or clean them with alcohol and very hot detergent and clean the discs with glass cleaner or alcohol. Then take the bike out and give the brakes a good workout. They will work fine especially with a 200mm rotor.

I've just saved you lots of money and hassle.

griff488

I've got Avid Elixir Trail 7's on my mtb and they're great! As suggested above clean or replace pads and clean rotor with alcohol or brake cleaner and you'll be fine. Make sure the calipers aren't leaking a bit to.
Might be worth checking the disc runs true and isn't warped

Top Bottom