Bit of maintenance....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
My front gear cable broke on Saturday, so I thought I'd best recable both front and rear. Wow, what a difference! Gore ride-on cables, which IMO are the smoothest and lowest friction cables EVER. I didn't realise how much the old cables had degraded.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
New and freshly lubed cables are a joy.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mixed feelings about the Gores. I've just removed a set (brakes and gears) from the vanity bike and replaced them with conventional cables. They certainly took longer to gum up than a 'normal' set but the gearing became very difficult to adjust as the ends of the inner cable liner chewed up slightly. Also on my setup at least, they were an absolute dog to fit.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
Mixed feelings about the Gores. I've just removed a set (brakes and gears) from the vanity bike and replaced them with conventional cables. They certainly took longer to gum up than a 'normal' set but the gearing became very difficult to adjust as the ends of the inner cable liner chewed up slightly. Also on my setup at least, they were an absolute dog to fit.

I didn't have the problem with the liner, but I did find them fiddly to fit compared to regular Shimano cables. Very good perfromance though, even on a R&M Birdy which has a convoluted and twisty cable routing.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
I didn't have the problem with the liner, but I did find them fiddly to fit compared to regular Shimano cables. Very good perfromance though, even on a R&M Birdy which had a convoluted and twisty cable routing.
It could well have been my kack-handed fitting. I also had problems with the metal cable guide ends rusting up, which made their removal a little trickier than I would have liked. If I'd have anticipated this, I might have taken steps to slow the corrosion down. You live and learn.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Never had any corrosion on mine, I've used them for years. Also, apart from the inner liner, they are exactly the same to fit as any other cable, so no real fiddly bits.

The original cables, btw, were some other brand that came with the Fujin.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Never had any corrosion on mine, I've used them for years. Also, apart from the inner liner, they are exactly the same to fit as any other cable, so no real fiddly bits.

The original cables, btw, were some other brand that came with the Fujin.

I had problems with the liner and barrel adjusters and had to enlarge the holes slightly.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Origamist said:
I had problems with the liner and barrel adjusters and had to enlarge the holes slightly.
Me too.

The corrosion thing could have been due to the titanium frame - I'm usually pretty careful to put some anti-seize goo where steel components attach to the frame, but this one didn't occur to me at the time.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
More fixes include finding room for the airzound bottle in my wheel well, keeping it out of sight and cleaning up the lines of the bike, a better Dinotte lighting mount on the tailbox. Oh, I'm also awaiting a new strada computer, as the old one's wiring loom was wrecked.

p.s. they include different sized end caps for some components that have tighter outer cable holes.

i fitted the louder car horn to the fixie but found it harder to fit due to lack of good places to fit it.On the first ride out on the fixie with the new horn there was a commotion so i stopped quite quickly coming down from Tower Gateway thinking the horn had fallen off.I actually hit a metal spike which had been lying in the road which had fallen from a lorry ImHo

Top Bottom