Bivvy+tarp in Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Day 1. Uig to Tarbert then pedal onwards to Ravenspoint on Lewis. Now in hostel.
Rain. Windy. Midge count 0
What's it like up there? I'll be in Tarbert next Saturday. I've chosen that route to the 78 as some locals have told me the Ardrossan ferry is unreliable.

Edit: there's either 2 Tarberts or you cycling over 220 miles a day. I'll be in the Argyle one, so ignore my Q.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
What's it like up there? I'll be in Tarbert next Saturday.
Edit: there's either 2 Tarberts or you cycling over 220 miles a day. I'll be in the Argyle one, so ignore my Q.
When there is possibility of confusion the two places are referred to as 'Tarbert Loch Fyne' or 'Tarbert Harris'.:smile:
Don't mention Tarbet or Tarbat at this stage!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Day 2. Short version: left Ravenspoint 1045 for ride to Butt of Lewis. It's Sabbath. Nothing's open. I have water. Pasta mug spiral things with cheese, cuppa soup, an emergency dry meal, tin beans, tin corned beef, orange.
Slight tailwind at start. Undulating, dry but cool. Making 10mph Max. Stopped at Callanish standing stones, did tourist thing, ate pasta spirals and orange. Slight midge action.

Set off for Butt. Wind turning to about 2 o'clock, long straight undulating roads, very tiring. Slow progress. Getting Hungry.
Make port of Niss at around 8pm, nothing open, take stroll around coast to ancient fort, walk up to road and cycle to Butt of Lewis. Just spitting. Photos then back up road. There is a walled wind shelter (I guess originally for sheep?). Lush soft grass. Pitch tarp cook beans eat corned beef. Bed down. Very rainy night .....

To be continued.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Day 2. Short version: left Ravenspoint 1045 for ride to Butt of Lewis. It's Sabbath. Nothing's open. I have water. Pasta mug spiral things with cheese, cuppa soup, an emergency dry meal, tin beans, tin corned beef, orange.
Slight tailwind at start. Undulating, dry but cool. Making 10mph Max. Stopped at Callanish standing stones, did tourist thing, ate pasta spirals and orange. Slight midge action.

Set off for Butt. Wind turning to about 2 o'clock, long straight undulating roads, very tiring. Slow progress. Getting Hungry.
Make port of Niss at around 8pm, nothing open, take stroll around coast to ancient fort, walk up to road and cycle to Butt of Lewis. Just spitting. Photos then back up road. There is a walled wind shelter (I guess originally for sheep?). Lush soft grass. Pitch tarp cook beans eat corned beef. Bed down. Very rainy night .....

To be continued.
Excellent post. I've been procrastinating as to whether or not to risk leaving my cooking stuff at home and rely on shops/pubs/cafes etc etc. I shall now be taking it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Excellent post. I've been procrastinating as to whether or not to risk leaving my cooking stuff at home and rely on shops/pubs/cafes etc etc. I shall now be taking it.
I've pared this down to a pocket stove with Esbit tabs, 650ml Alpkit Ti mug and tifoon. All fits into 1 pocket of the Carradice Camper longflap with matches, flint, scourer inside. Pocket stove also works with Trangia spirit burner.

GilesM

Legendary Member

To be continued.

Enjoy the wind, even a head wind, it's definitely better than the midges, just back from three very still evenings and mornings in Lochearnhead, the wee nasties were out in force.

iandg

Legendary Member
Luxury bivvy last night. FF heads on his way to Harris after a night with Wickerman.

28527103696_9673c6bf60_z.jpg

28481587061_dec7a227a7_z.jpg

28527102466_da24d8d7dd_z.jpg

Top Bottom