Bkool and Tacxs Vortex Resistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazza007

I have been trialling bkool with the view to purchasing it. However I find that the pressure of the break becomes too great making easy courses uncomfortable. Anything above 1% can feel like too much force. I have calibrated the device with Tacx software correctly and fitted a trainer tyre. I updated the firmware to the latest version. It would be great to get some advice as bkool have just said "the tacxs trainer works up to 7% gradient"

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Up to 7% based on rider weight. I did a few races with the lads on here when I had one and never had any real issues.

I used it a lot more with zwift which was a painful but productive way to train.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I have been trialling bkool with the view to purchasing it. However I find that the pressure of the break becomes too great making easy courses uncomfortable. Anything above 1% can feel like too much force. I have calibrated the device with Tacx software correctly and fitted a trainer tyre. I updated the firmware to the latest version. It would be great to get some advice as bkool have just said "the tacxs trainer works up to 7% gradient"
That doesn't sound right - I ride on Bkool with a Bkool Pro trainer and the resistance is quite realistic to what you find on similar terrain on the road - slightly easier if anything. Sorry I can't point you to what the problem might be - have you tried any other software like Zwift to see if that's more realistic?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My Vortex does the same. I have tried calibrating the unit and then slackening off the pressure on the tyre, this helps a bit. I have also tried lying about my weight, but ultimately I have just had to suck it up and work harder. An FTP test on the Vortex gives me 40 less watts than ones done on the Wattbikes at the gym.

OP
OP
D

dazza007

Thank you for your comments. I think I am too going to have to shed some VR weight. I did one ride and there was no resistance felt. However subsequent rides have been difficult. The change is just too unrealistic, once second you are on a negative gradient flying downhill (which in real life you don't need to pedal that hard) and then you hit a 2% gradient and you feel the resistance which takes the fun out of it. I live in the lake district so am use to hill climbs too but the bkool software is unreal. I would love to try zwift but my graphics card does not have enough oompf to run zwift.

Nifty54

Regular
I've had a Bkool Pro for over a year and always used the Bkool app. I tried Zwift yesterday (only a flat 3 mile spin) and I didn't seem to be able to get above 19mph and I should have been mid 20s. I'll try it again later but might have to re-calibrate it?

bobinski

Legendary Member
I've had a Bkool Pro for over a year and always used the Bkool app. I tried Zwift yesterday (only a flat 3 mile spin) and I didn't seem to be able to get above 19mph and I should have been mid 20s. I'll try it again later but might have to re-calibrate it?

I get this IF I leave my pro plugged into the mains after a bkool ride. Make sure bkool closed down.turn off pro and then start up Zwift and when open restart pro and go to settings in Zwift and. Are sure all connected with a turn of the cranks.

Nifty54

Regular
I rode Zwift again yesterday and it works OK now. 53mph down Box Hill. I always switch the Bkool off after I've finished as I'm a tight git.
I did struggle to get all the sensors to be recognised by Zwift at the start. I place my laptop in the same place as I did with my old Bkool Pro that I sold, but the 'new' one just wouldn't connect.
I ended up just moving the laptop 5ft along the table, a bit closer to the trainer, and it worked! Luckily my HDMI cable to my TV is long enough :-)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I hate operating near the max length of cables. I run 10m CAT5 amd HDMI cables between my home hub/TV and pc in some nice neat plastic trunking.

Also use a cheap no-nonsense USB extension lead ran neatly behind and under my trainer. Ebay is your friend :smile:

bobinski

Legendary Member
I rode Zwift again yesterday and it works OK now. 53mph down Box Hill. I always switch the Bkool off after I've finished as I'm a tight git.
I did struggle to get all the sensors to be recognised by Zwift at the start. I place my laptop in the same place as I did with my old Bkool Pro that I sold, but the 'new' one just wouldn't connect.
I ended up just moving the laptop 5ft along the table, a bit closer to the trainer, and it worked! Luckily my HDMI cable to my TV is long enough :-)

Can I ask what your cadence was to hit 53 mph?

Top Bottom