Bkool or Zwift ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
And what's the best starter trainer ?

Am considering a BKOOL SMART PRO 2 TURBO TRAINER ?

If you're considering a Bkool unit, stick with bkool. It will work on Zwift's setup. but you need to reset the device whilst in Xwift to make it work properly

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Both systems are good. If you think you'll enjoy group rides with large numbers of others, or structured training programmes then Zwift might be for you. Zwift is also used by many many pro cyclists (Cav, Bosen-Hagen, Boswell etc etc). If you like mostly solo riding (there are races too, but less numbers than Zwift), riding known classic climbs or routes (e.g. LeJog), then Bkool might suit better.

Both offer 7 day free trials so get a trainer then do the trials and see which one you prefer. Come and join us on here too for banter

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
If you are considering the BKool be aware that in zwift it is slow to respond to changes in power making it difficult to draft.

Kickr Core, Kickr, and Tacx Neo are the bees knees, along with the Cycleops Hammer ... They come at a price though.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
If you are considering the BKool be aware that in zwift it is slow to respond to changes in power making it difficult to draft.

Kickr Core, Kickr, and Tacx Neo are the bees knees, along with the Cycleops Hammer ... They come at a price though.
Tacx Flux too, which is in the same price bracket as a Bkool Pro 2 so worth considering too

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Please be aware that a wheel off trainer will probably need a cassette and the tools to install them (cassette tool, chain whip and cassette, £60-70 total, but worth it), other than a Wahoo Kickr that comes with an 11spd mounted already.

Having had 2 of bkools previous trainers, gen2 classic and a gen1 pro, I can say they are very good for bkools software. Other sw not so much, over reports power IMO. Other trainers on bkools sw suffer from an in built disadvantage in the sw that makes using them on bsim problematic. I'm currently on a Wahoo Kickr18 that in workout mode works very well in bkool, but rides/races show limitations in the software IMO.

I've just moved over to Zwift as my training platform because the workouts on Bkool are quite limited. I also use BigRingVR for video rides due to their quality.

JuhaL

Guru
I have subscription to Zwift, BigRingVR and Bkool Sim. Don't know what makes a difference these 3 apps but Bkool is clearly harder to ride with Elite Drivo 2 trainer. BigRingVR feels more natural than Zwift and Bkool. I guess every trainer brand feels different to ride, different technical solutions i guess. For me Zwift and BigRingVR are apps what i use, with Bkool i need to think what shall i do with it. With BigRingVR i feel the resistance unit reacts linear and that's why i feel natural, unlike with Zwift Drivo2 reacts more aggressive. That's how i feel with my legs.

I have had one for 3 years now and only use on Zwift which seems to work smoothly for me, as I don't have other Trainers to compare against. I don't understand the comment about resetting it for use on Zwift as I used to use it for both at one time without problems.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I have had one for 3 years now and only use on Zwift which seems to work smoothly for me, as I don't have other Trainers to compare against. I don't understand the comment about resetting it for use on Zwift as I used to use it for both at one time without problems.
The problem is , if you go on bkool first and do a ride, then go on Zwift without resetting the bkool unit over reads your wattage considerably.
Saying that I think bkool and it’s units are good fun and enjoyable but true readings are a bit ascew

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
To echo Lee the bkool units over read power in Zwift, on average 30 watts but as much as 80w. They also carry speed which gives an advantage over other more accurate trainers and power meters. Resetting, that is turning on, off and then back on, once Zwift is started improves accuracy but the advantage remains. Unfortunately there is no way to calibrate bkool units at all.

Top Bottom