Bl**dy kids and bl**dy bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubester is to celebrate his 12th birthday tomorrow, and as a treat he asked for a day out at Dalby Forest on Saturday. He was told he could bring a couple of mates with him, so he chose his mate Niall, who rides various bikes, trials, freeride, dirt jump, etc etc. No probs. He also asked his new mate from school, who, he said, was a dead keen MTB rider. Great. We therefore planned to ride the 23 mile red route.

When I got back from work on Friday evening his new mate was on the doorstep with a very shiny Marin full susser with all the bells and whistles, very impressive I thought. (It made a change from his mates turning up on catalogue specials and me having to spend the next three hours making brakes work, lubing seized chains, fixing puntures and trying to index shitty twistgrip gears:angry:)

When Cubester arrived to look at his mates bike, I saw to my horror that although it had a lovely rear brake rotor, it didn't actually have a caliper.

Rather than disappoint any of them I persuaded Cubette to lend the mate her bike and we all loaded up the car and drove up to the forest the next day. I was starting to get a niggling feeling about a boy who didn't appreciate that he couldn't ride on the trails without brakes, so decided to ride a loop with some red and a blue escape route instead. Sure enough, he was neither fit enough nor skilled enough to ride the first bit of red out of the visitor centre so I sent Niall and Cubester off on the red loop and nursemaided the new kid round the blue loop.

After lunch they all decided they would ride round the skills park at Dixons Hollow, and so I watched them for a few minutes before setting off on the loop of red that leads off from there. I had watched the new kid riding the 4-X track very competently, and decided they were safe enough.

Three quarters of an hour later I was about as far away from the park as I was going to be when my mobile rang. A stranger (still need to thank him) was telling me that the new kid had got a jump wrong and hurt his knees, and would I get back to Dixons Hollow asap.

Apparently he had decided he wanted to try the big jumps, and despite Niall and Cubester telling not to, he promised he wouldn't go fast and dropped in. They reckon he got about 6 or 7 feet of air off the first tabletop, and threw the bike away, landing between the jumps on his knees.

Malton Hospital is a lovely place, and has lovely nurses who patched him up (several stitches in a wound the size of my mouth on his right knee, and a graze down to the wood on his left.)

Bloody kids.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There is NO substitute like experience in that scenario. Bank of mum and dad throw money at a kid, and stand back. Bound to end in tears. Better to get lots of riding experience before letting them anywhere near jumps IMO.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
User3143 said:
Indeed, what about your daughters bike?
New back wheel required, and new handlebars. I'm just waiting for the nice LBS man to come back with a good price for the wheel...... reckon about 90 quid in parts costs.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Ha ha bet they will rib him for that when he has healed. Junior Wigs number 1 is 9 and starting to do stupid things, waiting for the first break and serious stitches session.

ComedyPilot said:
There is NO substitute like experience in that scenario. Bank of mum and dad throw money at a kid, and stand back. Bound to end in tears. Better to get lots of riding experience before letting them anywhere near jumps IMO.

+1 tragic story of a lad where I grew up, folks bought him a Lotus for his 18th birthday as he had recently passed his test. Crashed and died a few days later!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Over the years I have learned through bitter experience never to lend or borrow kit. Example: a school friend begged me to borrow our family tent, a big Vango, for a camping trip. My parents agreed and off he went. During the trip the tent was stored in his Mum's car boot with a can of petrol; the can leaked and the boot had been painted with black underseal, which melted and seeped into the tent leaving a lovely ink-blot style blob repeated all across the fly sheet. The lad just handed the tent back with a feeble "Oh, sorry" apology and no offer to replace the flysheet. It wasn't worth spending money on a new one so on every family holiday after that we were painfully reminded never to lend anything again. Some months later the lad asked to borrow my Dad's SLR camera and was miffed when I refused! Feckless twat.

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:
Some months later the lad asked to borrow my Dad's SLR camera and was miffed when I refused! Feckless twat.

You're quite right. I will happily tell people why I won't lend them things if they've wrecked stuff in the past. I still lend a borrow sometimes but I'm careful who to. If I borrow something and damage it I buy a new one.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's always a condiiton if I borrow something - if I break it I repair or replace. No ifs or buts. Broke the glass mixer off a neighbour's food processor so went and bought her a new one, actually she was a bit miffed because it was an old model..... ha ha!

ChrisKH

Guru
I think it was rather presumptious to think 'new' kid would be sufficiently experienced tbh. I would probably struggle with some of the stuff you were doing since I don't off-road at all. Given his inexperience I would have made sure I was on hand for the whole of the day.

lukesdad

ChrisKH said:
I think it was rather presumptious to think 'new' kid would be sufficiently experienced tbh. I would probably struggle with some of the stuff you were doing since I don't off-road at all. Given his inexperience I would have made sure I was on hand for the whole of the day.

+1

Globalti

Legendary Member
We took a pal of my son aged 10 cycling and I quickly realised he hadn't a clue how to use the gears on his bike, he was mashing everwhere in a huge gear. It's a bit embarrassing having to ask "Er, has anybody actually shown you how those gears work....?"

His brother is supposed to be a big DH rider, maybe that explains the ignorance of gears in the family.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
ChrisKH said:

I took him on the blue route and saw for myself he wasn't capable of riding trails. He owns a big f*ck-off long-travel Marin all-mountain bike, which he rides in a quarry near us. I stood and watched him riding the four-cross track for half an hour before I decided it would be safe to leave them to it for an hour or so. He looked perfectly competent then. I have a distinct feeling that if Cubester and Niall couldn't stop him dropping into the tabletops, then I wouldn't have managed from the logs at the top of the park!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
User3143 said:
Bill to the kids parents I hope?:biggrin:

I'll drop hints about halving it with Mum. The kid offered to pay for the damage when he was still being stitched up! At the end of the day I could have left him at home, and spoiled Cubester's day out in the process.

( I could also have pleaded ignorance and let him ride the brakeless Marin, but I feel that would only have been as far as the first drop off the trail edge!:biggrin:)

Top Bottom