Black ice fun this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjb

Realising how much riding I need to get in for the Kirklees Sportive in a month's time I decided it'd be a good idea to cycle from Huddersfield to Sheffield Station this morning (30 miles) at 5:30am rather than drive as usual. Bit nippy when I set off but warmed up nicely once the hills started....

Anyway, got to the highest point on the ride (~900ft), on the A629 above Penistone, just starting the long descent into Sheffield, when a car coming the other way, very slowly, started flashing his lights and waving his arms at me and the car that had just overtaken me. Natural caution kicked in and I slowed.

Got round the corner and saw about 5 cars spread all over the road and grass verges and watched the car that had just passed me do a very graceful 360 spin and wizz off across the verge to end up halfway through a dry stone wall:ohmy:

Managed to stay on by slowing very gently to about 3 mph and feathering rear brake, but still had a couple of hairy moments for a few hundred yards. What got me thinking about it was that I normally drive this route at ~60mph at that time in the morning (nice wide road, no traffic) - thank goodness I was on the bike........

Tynan

Veteran
and someone coming the other way was decent enough to warn you?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's blooming lucky then ...... blimey !....Good choice hitting two wheels -ish..... not something you'd recommend in ice, but he of the golden wheels was looking upon you ! erm ?

Top Bottom