Black Ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Came off this morning too - not on the road though - on the pavement!! And before anyone starts going on about pavement riders it's the only way I can get into the work compound (via the pedestrian gate). Essentially I use the road on my entire commute - then have to cross the road and up the ramped kerbstone to get access. It was on the transition from road to kerb that my bike went. Bike went down and I rolled over my right shoulder (knew the martial arts training would come in handy). Damage to me none. Damage to the bike (the 1st thing I checked EVEN before me!!) - one bar end plug scuffed. Gutted!!

Thomk

Guru
As reported on another thread I came off yesterday and found out this morning after an xray that I have a fractured bone in my elbow. At least I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to cycle in the bad weather over Christmas. I am going to be oficially fat by the New Year :sad:

potsy

Rambler
studded tyres are on a bike and will stay on until Spring, that's the steed of choice unless there's zero chance of ice.
Be careful out there :whistle:
macB mileage.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Had intended to fit the spiky tyres over the weekend but didn't get round to it. Stuck to the main road this morning and noticed a few patches of ice near the edge of the road where the cars don't go. Quiet back route would have been almost guaranteed to bring on a topple. Must fit spiky tyres tonight.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Crashed on black ice within 200 metres of the house; right foot caught in the strap and difficult to extricate myself - lucky no other traffic around as it took a minute or two to be able to get uo again. Knee is sore and swollen now.

Discretion being the better part of valour, I've not got changed and will be taking the car a bit later. So annoying - I was really looking forward to this morning's ride as well.
Ouch, GWS to you and the other ice ice victims.

yello

It makes sense to abandon two wheeled transport when road conditions make cycling hazardous.

Agreed. Some things just aren't worth the risk. Fortunately, I'm not in a situation where I have to cycle so not going out is an easy option!

I've come off on ice and I've had slides too but it's been luck when I've stayed upright. Ime experience there's little to be done, and less time to do it in. You hit the ice and, bang, you're either down or... still upright and stable again but thinking 'wtf!!'. I've not ridden on studded tyres so they might be the answer but I'd still only say they lessen the chances of going down rather than preventing them.

I once had an instance a couple of winters ago when I was cycling up a hill and I could feel the back end of my bike slipping and periodically kicking out. All I did was stay smooth and kept my pedal stroke gentle and even. I got to the top ok but I've no idea if what I did helped or it was just luck that I stayed upright. I think the latter!

left the house and straight off, must have gone 3 yards. On the roads fine !
Got home and the wife did the same when she left 2 hours later !

OP
OP
Orange

Orange

I'm now at my desk with ice on one knee and the heel of one hand. Nothing's broken, but my knee is stiffening up nicely and I'm hoping not to cycle home tonight on it!
It was my knee that took the brunt of it too and it is still hurting now, though mobility seems OK. Strange thing is, it was a 90 degree left hander but I came down on my right knee somehow - can't remember how, it was over in a faction of a second.

I do remember facing thewrong way in the middle of the road, with my foot trapped in the straps, not being able to get it out and thinking, "lucky there was no traffic following me!" Good incentive to go clipless maybe. More post Christmas spending...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It was my knee that took the brunt of it too and it is still hurting now, though mobility seems OK. Strange thing is, it was a 90 degree left hander but I came down on my right knee somehow - can't remember how, it was over in a faction of a second.

I do remember facing thewrong way in the middle of the road, with my foot trapped in the straps, not being able to get it out and thinking, "lucky there was no traffic following me!" Good incentive to go clipless maybe. More post Christmas spending...
Mine was a left hander. I recall kind of seeing the road coming up to meet me, rather fast! But as I came down on my left side, I can't quite work out how I come to have a bruise and graze on my right elbow...

You're dead right about clipless. I was using SPDs and everthing came undone exactly as it's meant too - no twisted ankles or getting myself tangled up in the bike - although I went down far to fast to consciously unclip myself.

levad

Veteran
They say that black ice can form when the air temperature is about 3degC. Forecast temps are taken at about shoulder level (or therabouts) so can be colder at ground level.

I tend to use studded tyres all winter and just change the pressure depending on how bad the ice is likely to be. No point in switching between tyres and putting the studs on after I have tumbled.

Top Bottom