Black is the new Hi-Viz Yellow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi-viz for daylight (fluoro-yellow) and hi-viz for night (reflectives) are extremely useful for getting me seen good and early by drivers, especially on the 70 dual-carriageways I have to negotiate. There's a definite advantage in wearing them.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Being seen isn't about HiViz, and it's not even really about being seen. Once you ride in a good road position, and have lights and std bike reflectors at night, drivers will see you just fine.
What you're really worried about, is avoiding a collision, and hiviz won't avert that any more than the above will. We have two problems here, the first and most important being those drivers that did see us, and just pull out anyway because they don't care about a bloody cyclist. The second is that some drivers just don't look at all, but fortunately these are in the extreme minority. Drivers looking and then not seeing you just isn't a problem.

Drivers are not "looking" for cyclists - their focus is on other larger motorised vehicles (cars, buses, HGVs etc) when they scan - the measley frontal profile of a cyclist can and does get cognitively missed or downgraded - regardless of a good road position, retina searing lights, panniers/bar bags and Hi-Viz/retro reflectives. I'm not saying these won't help - but don't attach too much faith to any conspicuity strategy.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Got to say that I wore a fleece and base layer today as the Altura Night jacket is just too warm at the moment. I agree with BM as it didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

I think I *feel* safer in the hi-viz, kind of lures me into a false feeling of security and find myself hugging cycle lanes/kerbs. Which naturally, goes against the whole safety purpose anyway!

Anyone want a new jacket????

hackbike 6

The ride home was technically worse than the ride in.People just love passing close because they are in such a fkin hurry to save 2 seconds,then again not all motons were bad tonight,even the peds gave me a break,even the leaves gave me a break.

LOGAN 5

J4CKO said:
I aim to be as visible as possible, via my Altura nightvision jacket in hi viz yellow,

Do you like your Altura nightvision jacket? I just bought one, replacing the older model. Wore it this morning in the pouring rain and was soaked when I got to work - 1 hour. It might look the part but I'm disappointed with the performance. Am going to buy a more technical (and expensive) jacket for the winter.

hackbike 6

BentMikey said:
Being seen isn't about HiViz, and it's not even really about being seen. Once you ride in a good road position, and have lights and std bike reflectors at night, drivers will see you just fine. What you're really worried about, is avoiding a collision, and hiviz won't avert that any more than the above will. We have two problems here, the first and most important being those drivers that did see us, and just pull out anyway because they don't care about a bloody cyclist. The second is that some drivers just don't look at all, but fortunately these are in the extreme minority. Drivers looking and then not seeing you just isn't a problem.

I've had one SMIDSY in years and long may it continue,so I must be doing something right.Technically I do tend to try and hang back if I see a car waiting so it can cross in front of me but this doesn't happen all the time.

I'm actually surprised that I don't get more SMIDSYS but that is actually the facts.Of course they won't see you if they don't look.

Oh and that SMIDSY thing is actually a true fact.I remember at one time it used to be common and im not going to waste my time telling people what I did to solve the problem.;)

Your second example is about the saving the 2 seconds rule whatever you are wearing wont change that.

Top Bottom