Black is the new Hi-Viz Yellow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

Saw a fella this morning on my commute into London about 6.15 am. His set up was as follows:

Black Mountain Bike
Black cycling shoes
Black Tights
Black Jacket
Black Gloves
Black Helmet
Black Rucksack.

No lights, not even a rear reflector!! He must have thought he was a ninja and therefore could not be hit by anything!?!?

Unbelievable!! ;)

I caught his fellow Ninja up on the way home in the p'ing down rain the other night. A little quiz: was he on the pavement or the road?

Tynan

Veteran
no end of that last night in the dark, with anything from ok lights to none via some dim flickers, one had a n alright rear light but with his lock cable wrapped round it

rnscotch

Veteran
Black Mountain Bike.. Check
Black cycling shoes.. Check
Black Tights... Check
Black Jacket.. Check
Black Gloves... Check
Black Helmet.... Check
Black Rucksack.... Check

Only difference being my bike has black reflective tape on it as so as soon as light hit it, it turns silver, Again my shoes have loads of reflective trim, Jacket lights up like a Xmas tree when light hits it (altura night vision) , gloves are also altura night vision, Helmet has the black reflective tape on it plus i have a smart 1/2 watt attached with Velcro to back of helmet. rucksack reflective trim and piping.

As for lights i have duel dinotte 200l up front, at the back i have 2 smart 1/2 watt and a dinotte 140L.

So as you can see you can wear black and be very very visible.

For anyone interested in the sticky reflective tape it can be got here Reflectively Yours

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nothing wrong with all black - see my bike. Mind you I do have *proper* lights and a front and rear reflector, none of which look like they are on a bicycle.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL! But you have in the past, or do I have to link it again?

J4CKO

Bollo said:
Its very slimming.

Yes, never underestimate how much slimmer you will be if an Artic driver doesnt see you ;)

I aim to be as visible as possible, via my Altura nightvision jacket in hi viz yellow, my bike is matt black stealth style but has reflective stickers and a few of those snap on yellow things for added side visibility,

Lighting wise I will have, 2 * Tesco 3w aimed down for off road visibility, Cateye Single shot plus for road, Cateye rear flasher (the 20 quid one), one on my rucksack and if all else fails I have those emergency lights on the jacket, they actually work pretty well, £2 from Tesco.

I really dont understand how anyone can dress all in black with no lights and step into the realm of the 2 tonne high speed vehicle ?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Once you've passed a certain minimum standard, J4cko, then all that waaaay extra stuff doesn't make you any more visible, or any less likely to be hit. It does however, encourage you to rely on drivers avoiding you more than you perhaps should, and that does increase your likelihood of a collision.

Jake

i have a lovely hand painted, in 1994, black bike. even has the original paint runs all over it lol. Def investing in a big bright bag cover this week. rucksack covers my wastecoat thingy and i dont need a new jacket so...

robz400

Black Mountain Bike
Black cycling shoes
Black Tights
Black Jacket
Black Gloves
Black Helmet
Black Rucksack.

HAHA that was me last week except for one small light at the back!!:biggrin: even had black socks on!

I felt stupid riding like that on the commute so bought a hi viz yellow cycling jacket. 1st ride with it on and old boy pulled straight out in front of me, luckily next to a dip on the kerb that i escaped up! then when i questioned him at lights he said the classic SMIDSY ;)

Maybe i'll go back to the ninja uniform!!

Top Bottom