Black or high vis yellow? Your vote counts

Black or yellow?

• Black

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

Surely you take your jacket off in the pub anyway?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...erm...good point and well made....but I like th elook of the black one...it's erm...more ...heavy metal, less easter bunny!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..exactly!

It arrived about 30 minutes ago...xxxl fits well...all seems well...only thing I'd change would be to add a hood...but it's no big deal.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bigtallfatbloke said:
..exactly!

It arrived about 30 minutes ago...xxxl fits well...all seems well...only thing I'd change would be to add a hood...but it's no big deal.

I've not used a hood will riding a bike since I turned my head to look behind my and found my self looking at the inside of my hood:eek:

giant man

Hairy Jock said:
A true drivers answer. Obviously you don't cycle much at night, the colour of your jacket makes no different, at night it is the number and brightness of your lights that counts.

No it's not a driver's answer it's a cyclist's one cos that's what i am. I am not going to believe that you can see a black jacket (with as many reflective strips as you want) better than a hi vis one in the dark. Your argument doesn't make any sense mate.

Oh sorry i just saw you've been cycling in the dark for so many years, ah well you must be right then mustn't you?

Tynan

Veteran
all the dancing around the question, yes reflectives are essential in the dark as are lights and reflectors, no argument, ditto positioning etc etc

but does bright clothing make you that bit safer? especially in low light such as street lighting or dusk?

again, this sounds just like the helmet argument where people make up all sorts of arguments against wearing a helmet and dance all round the issue without addressing it because they they simply don't want to wear one for whatever reason

I've no problem with them not wanting to, I do with them not being honest

Peyote

Everyone has given you their reasons Tynan, you're just choosing not to accept them!

Maybe you should just be honest and say that you disagree with them and leave it at that?

Tynan

Veteran
I'm posting what i think about their reasons, they're avoiding the simple facts of the debate as opposed to opinions

and avoiding the facts for good reasons I suggest

Peyote

Tynan said:
I'm posting what i think about their reasons, they're avoiding the simple facts of the debate as opposed to opinions

and avoiding the facts for good reasons I suggest

The whole debate is about opinions though! My opinion is that Hi-Viz, in certain circumstances may offer a slight benefit. Not enough for me to warrant wearing it, in my opinion there are far more important factors to consider and Hi Viz is well down the list. Yours seems to be that it is the universal panacea and everyone should wear it;).

It's all about a personal Risk Assessment, surely you can see that?

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
all the dancing around the question, yes reflectives are essential in the dark as are lights and reflectors, no argument, ditto positioning etc etc

but does bright clothing make you that bit safer? especially in low light such as street lighting or dusk?

again, this sounds just like the helmet argument where people make up all sorts of arguments against wearing a helmet and dance all round the issue without addressing it because they they simply don't want to wear one for whatever reason

I've no problem with them not wanting to, I do with them not being honest

I've read some arrogant fiddle before but this takes the biscuit!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
giant man said:
No it's not a driver's answer it's a cyclist's one cos that's what i am. I am not going to believe that you can see a black jacket (with as many reflective strips as you want) better than a hi vis one in the dark. Your argument doesn't make any sense mate.

Oh sorry i just saw you've been cycling in the dark for so many years, ah well you must be right then mustn't you?

It is the reflective strips that make it a hi vis jacket, not the colour.

Yes I have been cycling for more years than I care to remember, I have also been a full qualified DOT ADI (if you don't know what that is try google) and an advanced driver. I have heard many people who think, because they have manage to drive to a safe minimum standard for 30 minutes on one day in their life, think they are some how expert drivers. Often they spout complete bollocks and are a danger to the rest of us.

Top Bottom