Black or high vis yellow? Your vote counts

Black or yellow?

• Black

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben

Personally (and bucking the trend) I'd go for yellow. On a tour a couple of years ago my mucker had two tops, one yellow, one black. On long straights I was amazed just how much further ahead you could see him when he was wearing the yellow. Yes, OK you are always going to have people who aren't looking enough and could hit even if you had a flashing orange light but I'd say being visible from 800 yds is better protection than a helmet... oops...

col

Legendary Member
I think i would go for yellow too,the black does look good,but i feel any extra visibility that we can get must be a good thing?Unless its just a phsycological thing for me,but i do know that yellow is also the last colour that you see as your vision deteriorates,so giving people with sight issues a better chance of seeing us approach:smile:

barq

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum...sorry...shoulda gone to betterspecs:rolleyes:
(Maybe a mod should move it to the clothing forum?)

Done... (sorry, bit slow ;) )

I'm going to vote black. You can always fit more reflectors to yourself and the bike if you need them. A high vis sash is also an extra option..

Tynan

Veteran
I'm always amazed when people chose something that looks good over something that might save their life, you can get something that does both

the motorcyclists do the same shoot, the best waterproof jacket I ever bought for the scooter only came in solid black, with a couple of itsy reflective strips, the too cool staff in the shop looked at me like I was made when I asked them if they had any other colours

it doesn't have to be electric yellow but black for a cycling top that you'll be wearing in lo vis in the winter, in rain, in the dark is plain stupid as far as I'm concerned

your funeral

with all due respect

twowheelsgood

Really, "high-viz" colours only have a very limited use, but probably more during British winters than most places. They work well in marginal light. That 45mins or so between it being good enough to see you in whatever colour and when your lights start to make a difference and of course in our default weather of perma-drizzle.

I just wear a hi-viz vest yellow with 3 retro-reflectives in these times and choose my clothes based only on what appeals. Costs £2.

Blonde

I wear blue, mostly, though I do also wear red, black and pro team mad colours too. I like them all. I'd never wear high viz. It's horrible and only makes people assume you're a builder - it doesn't make their driving skills any better. Reflectives are best for evening/night time riding - I sew them on to my gilet/jacket and stick them onto my shoes, bike frame and luggage. I have silver and black reflectives stuck on my shoes - you can't see them during the day at all, as they are stuck to the silver and black surfaces of my shoes.

Peyote

Blonde said:
I wear blue, mostly, though I do also wear red, black and pro team mad colours too. I like them all. I'd never wear high viz. It's horrible and only makes people assume you're a builder - it doesn't make their driving skills any better. Reflectives are best for evening/night time riding - I sew them on to my gilet/jacket and stick them onto my shoes, bike frame and luggage.

I concur Blonde.

Hi Viz isn't half as effective as sensible positioning. It's always got to be better to position yourself in a drivers sightline, than trying to get that sightline to move and notice you.

col

Legendary Member
Peyote;37482][quote name= said:
I wear blue, mostly, though I do also wear red, black and pro team mad colours too. I like them all. I'd never wear high viz. It's horrible and only makes people assume you're a builder - it doesn't make their driving skills any better. Reflectives are best for evening/night time riding - I sew them on to my gilet/jacket and stick them onto my shoes, bike frame and luggage.

I concur Blonde.

Hi Viz isn't half as effective as sensible positioning. It's always got to be better to position yourself in a drivers sightline, than trying to get that sightline to move and notice you.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you,but why not have the best of both worlds?cant do any harm can it;)

Peyote

col said:
I agree with you,but why not have the best of both worlds?cant do any harm can it;)

You got me there! ;)

There's quite a few reasons I don't wear Hi Viz though I'm happy to admit the primary one is vanity!

I just don't see that they offer any advantage in my experience (over and above the usual Cyclecraft techniques).

I'm also slightly worried about the whole 'Arms Race' Theory i.e. once all the cyclists out there have been Hi-Vized up, the drivers aren't going to be suddenly surprised into giving Hi-Viz cyclists more room, so another attention grabbing idea willl have to emerge, once that has reached saturation level, another one will have to emerge etc... The cycle continues.

Might be a better idea to focus on where the danger originates, as it is Hi Viz is treating symptoms, possibly to the detriment of cyclists.

Ben

But there's a difference between yellow and hi-vis yellow - I mean the maillot jaune isn't hi-vis is it? - even when it really was all jaune.

Another reason why I think ordinary yellow is good is that I have cycled in lurid green and bright red jerseys (that's two different ones) and thought they were eye-catching when a colour-blind friend told me that to him they didn't stand out at all - but yellow did.

Have to say though that although I have a yellow jacket and one yellow jersey all my other tops are not yellow so it'll take a while to truly become fully buttercupped!

col

Legendary Member
Point taken:smile: Maybe there needs to be something added to the test for new drivers,pointing out how vulnerable cyclist are in given situations,or something along those lines.But im afraid in the winter months i would feel better,albeit probably in my mind,that i would be more easily seen by the driver.There seems to be more than ever of younger drivers(and sometimes older) that dont seem to have basic road sense,and its a worrying trend to me.
Like you said though,treating symptoms isnt the answer,but finding an effective way of treating the cause is going to be difficult i think.

Peyote

col said:
Point taken:smile: Maybe there needs to be something added to the test for new drivers,pointing out how vulnerable cyclist are in given situations,or something along those lines.But im afraid in the winter months i would feel better,albeit probably in my mind,that i would be more easily seen by the driver.There seems to be more than ever of younger drivers(and sometimes older) that dont seem to have basic road sense,and its a worrying trend to me.
Like you said though,treating symptoms isnt the answer,but finding an effective way of treating the cause is going to be difficult i think.

Can't argue with any of that Col, a dissapointingly sensible post!;)

Top Bottom