Black Westwood Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone restored a black westwood rim? I'm trying to find out what sort of paint to use and how to go about stripping and priming.

Thanks

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Not sure what they used during the war but I'm guessing that you won't get anything like that nowadays due to coshh regs and materials probably banned.

The only way I can think of is to use a high temp paint, but I really couldn't tell you how well it would work.

Are you painting the whole rim or leaving the brake surface unpainted?

Here's a link to high temp paint, although I think hammerrite also make one

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/wheelpaint/

Last thought, again it's from some distant memory but I'm sure that in the old days trucks use to use special paint for their brake shoes or linings but I might be just dreaming.

Sorry can't help much more than that.

Powder coat would work if you can trust them to prep the surface well. But for authenticity and the best possible finish get em painted in tradish bicycle baked on enamel.
And then pin striped!

U

User42423

Has anyone restored a black westwood rim? I'm trying to find out what sort of paint to use and how to go about stripping and priming.

Thanks

Hi 'flippin'. I've just had my 28 inch rims blackened. They used Hammerite smooth, satin finish. Otherwise, I would suggest powder coating.

ChrisEyles

Guru
A bit of a late contribution... but I'm about to do exactly this on a pair of 28" Westwood rim wheels I've just got hold of for an old Roadster. I'll be using brush on satin black Rustoleum.

I've done this before with a 26" wheel sports roadster using bright red paint, and the wheels looked fab, though there are now some nice black "thick pinstripes" from the brake blocks!

If the budget will allow, I'd second powder coating as the best solution.

Top Bottom