Blackpool Ride the lights 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robotron

I've done it before and am planning on being there tomorrow with my daughter.
It's good fun, obviously not a taxing ride as it's more of a pootle down the prom but still enjoyable and a nice family atmosphere. Forecast is good too so that makes it even better!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"The road will re-open to traffic at 10pm. Please try to plan your ride to reach your destination by this time, and be aware of traffic after this time."

I bet those "they don't pay effin road tax" nobbers will be seething after having "their" road closed for three hours.:giggle:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did it a few years ago and we were so shocked at the bad cycling we saw that we decided not to do it again.

Mark65

I went to this last year. Thousands there and I had a good day of it. Got home a little after midnight after riding 79 miles. Those unlit country roads on the way home were a bit unnerving though. I'll have to find a better lit route home if I ever go again.

robotron

It was a great event, as usual. It's a good family day out, and you have to realise that there'll be riders there who are less experienced, or even don't have a clue and ride accordingly.
I didn't see any accidents or incidents and pretty much everyone looked like they were having a great time. There were a few people who looked like they were in a rush to be somewhere and darting in and out of the crowd but they were in a very small minority.

There were a lot of unicycles, more than last time I was there. Maybe it's a new trend? The weather, as forecasted was great.

Only downside was my light packed in towards the end, but with the illuminations it was light enough to see and I had a small backup front light anyway so I was visible. Next year I'm going to go for the full on LED covered "pimp my bike" look I think.

Never done this before, but considering doing it this year. Problem is we have a kiddy transport bike (which is going to be difficult to get on a train as it's huge and weighs a ton) or the kiddy is going to need to ride his own balance bike. Is it too busy to safely ride a balance bike? I'm guessing yes from the previous comments. He's only 2.5...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Definitely too risky for a child on a balance bike as there are some idiots who go along and there would be a big speed differential as well.

Top Bottom